Region 6 Leadership Update
April 17, 2020
Governor Update: Texas Schools CLOSED for remainder of 2019-2020 school year
17, 371 cases statewide with over 160,000 tested
192 of 254 counties are impacted
4, 190 recovered
Currently, in Pass/Fail grading situations, the NCAA Eligibility Center assigns the school’s lowest passing grade. A representative of the NCAA recently indicated to a Region 6 principal that because of the unique grading situations that exist at this time, the NCAA is reviewing this policy and will communicate any changes within the next two weeks. As usual, we will keep you informed of any updates.
Times of crisis demand more of a leader. The following resources offer advice and principles for making decisions and communicating effectively during times of uncertainty:
- Principal Melinda Miller Blog
- Harvard Business Publishing: “Resources to Effectively Lead Amid COVID-19"
Ideas for leading your staff:
- Have an appraiser set in on teacher zoom sessions to observe and give feedback
- Provide ideas for providing differentiation instruction to students to meet the needs of all students
- Set both teacher and staff assistant expectations
- Set Daily Instructional Time-frame for each grade level...quality vs. quantity
- Utilize Kahoot Trivia Game in virtual meeting. Create a quiz related to something your staff loves, and watch them engage
- Host weekly challenges
Click to access Leadership Collaborative Meeting Shared Documents/Recordings
Next Principal Leadership Collaborative Meeting is scheduled for April 30th
Misc. TEA COVID Updates
COVID-19 Related Waivers (PDF) April 16 2020
Educator Certification Testing Notice (PDF) April 16 2020
COVID-19 FAQ: Attendance and Enrollment, April 14, 2020
Guidance on Educator and Staff Issues and Educator Evaluations and Non-renewal (PDF) April 14 2020
It’s tempting (and perhaps necessary) to work long hours and put the well-being of your students, teachers, and staff above your own. It’s important to remember that you need to take care of yourself during these critical times. Your school(s) need you to show up as the best version of yourself – physically, emotionally, and mentally!
TEA continues to frequently update and add new SPED resources to their website. Here are the most recent additions and updates:
Residential School Program Guidance (PDF) April 7 2020
COVID19 Special Education Q&A (PDF) April 7 2020
Multi-tiered System of Support Intervention Framework (PDF) April 7 2020 (new resource)
At-Home Learning Resources for Students with Disabilities (PDF) April 7 2020 (new resource)
Progress Monitoring (PDF) April 14 2020
Managing Challenging Behaviors for Parents (PDF) April 14 2020
Managing Challenging Behaviors for LEAs (PDF) April 14 2020
Providing Counseling as a Related Service (PDF) April 14 2020
Remote Counseling and Student Support Services (PDF) April 14 2020
Occupational Therapy (OT) and Physical Therapy (PT) Guidance (PDF) April 16 2020
Speech Language Therapy Services Guidance (PDF) April 16 2020
Special Programs Updates
English learners: COVID-19 FAQ: English Learner Guidance Updated April 17, 2020
TELPAS deadline May 29th, EOY LPACs through first 30 days of next school year.
Services for ELs must continue - be sure and document! Resources on our COVID-19 page
CLNA Due Date Extension - June 1, 2020 - CTE team meeting with all districts
- GT: G/T (PDF) April 14 2020
Teaching & Learning Update
Reading Academies - Cohort Leader screener window number 2 is opening April 22nd - Pre-registration is required - UNIQUE ID required to pre-register - 2020 -2021 participant registration ends April 30th - Please ensure all participants, including local implementation districts register - Prospective Cohort Leaders who participated in the first screener window, were originally to be notified on their status by April 15th. This morning, April 16th, we received notification from TEA that there was a delay. We will communicate information when we receive it. - More updates are expected in the coming days. We will review any new information we receive between now and then at our next webinar on April 21st.
Mentorship Program Allotment - The TAA letter regarding Mentorship Programs was released this week. In a conversation with TEA last week, it was stated that more information will be provided on the application, to be released on April 20th.
Next Curriculum Leaders Meeting: Tuesday, April 21st at 9 a.m.
- Click here to join: https://bluejeans.com/634957719
Other Region 6 Newsletters and Websites
Monthly Checklist Reminders
April & May (Remotely)
- Student Level End of Year Determination to provide documentation for next years teacher since STAAR and/or EOY testing will not be available
- Staff evaluations...make sure you have completed all appraisals or document waiver
- Differentiation...how are your teachers providing to students thinking of all students at all levels
- Communicate expectations for all staff positions (teachers, librarian, assistants, special positions)
- Grading guidelines (communicate with all stakeholders)
- Summer School...how will summer intervention look like if we are still providing remote instruction
- Kinder Round-Up
- Budget...close out this years and plan for next
- Start planning for end of year events...virtually. Which events can you still hold?
- End of years procedures
- Schedule and conduct all end of year ARDs and GPC meetings
text @esc6leader to the number 81010