The Eiffle Tower
About the Eiffle Tower
The Eiffel Tower is iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris, named after the engineer Gustave Eiffle whose company designed and built the tower.
It was built in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World Fair, it has become both a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world.
The tower stands 324 metres (1,063 ft) tall, about the same height as an 81-storey building.The tower has three levels for visitors.
The third level observatory's upper platform is at 279.11 m (915.7 ft) the highest accessible to the public in the European Union.
Social - How many people visit the Eiffle Tower each year?
The Eiffel Tower stands tall in the Paris sky as one of the most cherished symbols of the city. Now celebrating it's 203rd birthday, over 6.8 million visitors and tourists visit this masterpiece each year. It is thought that over a quarter of a billion people in the world have visited the Eiffel Tower during its existence.
Facts about the Eiffle Tower
*Located on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France, the Eiffel Tower is one of the most well known structures in the world.
* The Eiffel Tower was originally built as the entrance arch for the World's Fair in 1889.
* The Eiffel Tower is 320 metres (1050 feet) in height and was the tallest man made structure in the world for 41 years before being surpassed by the Chrysler Building in New York.
* The Eiffel Tower is made of iron and weighs around 10000 tonnes. Around 50 tonnes
of paint are added to the Eiffel Tower every 7 years to protect it from rust.
* Despite its height, the Eiffel Tower was designed to be wind resistant, swaying only a few inches in the wind.
* Millions of people climb the Eiffel Tower every year and it has had over 250 million visitors since its opening.
*Being so popular, the Eiffel Tower design has been recreated around the world, including the half scale replica at the Paris Las Vegas Hotel in Nevada, USA and the full scale Tokyo Tower in Japan.
* Not everyone liked the Eiffel Tower when it was first built, with many criticizing its bold design.
* The French name for the Eiffel Tower is La Tour Eiffel, it also has the nickname La dame de fer which means the iron lady.
Environmental - What impact on the environment does this landmark have?
The Eiffle Tower doesn't effect the environment in any way, if anything it brought Paris a lot of tourism and money
Historical - When was the Eiffle Tower constructed?
The Eiffel tower was created 1887-1889 by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel. The Eiffel tower was completed on March 28, 89. It took 2 years 2 months and 5 days to complete it.
Technological - What makes up the Eiffle Tower?
At 300 metres and 7000 tons, the Eiffle Tower was was world's tallest building until 1930.
This historical masterpiece is made up of:
- 2.5 million rivets.
- 300 steel workers, and 2 years (1887-1889) to construct it.
- Sway of at most 12 cm in high winds.
- Height varies up to 15 cm depending on temperature.
- 15,000 iron pieces
- 40 tons of paint.
- 1652 steps to the top.
List of websites I used to put together my flyer