January 25, 2021
Letter From the Principal
We have had such an incredible return to in-person learning. I have never seen so many smiles and laughs before and it has filled my heart. In these times it is the human connection that we all miss the most and it was so fulfilling to witness all the reconnections after being disconnected for so long. Thank you for sharing your most precious cargo with us. Your children are the reason we love what we do.
- At this time, we have been asked by the district to pause our progress on Learning Pods.
- I’m not completely sure of the reasoning, but I am pushing back on this decision.
- I am hoping we can get Learning Pods going in February.
- Rosters will be finalized today and communication will go out to families this week if you are selected or invited for a learning pod.
Best Elementary School of Colorado Springs
- I am proud to announce that Martinez Elementary is in the top 10 for “Best Elementary School in Colorado Springs”
- Please consider voting for Martinez
- Voting ends 2/14
- Share with everyone you know!
5 Essentials Survey
- We will be administering this survey at the end of January.
- In years previous, this was only open to staff and students. This year, we are including parents in the survey.
- When this becomes available, please make time to complete the survey.
- We analyze the data in order to strengthen our improvement plans. We value your feedback in this process.
- If you are interested in learning more about the survey, visit the University of Chicago’s website.
Inspire Virtual Announcements
- I am so sorry that I missed morning announcements with our Inspire students on 1/19. I got wrapped up in the physical return of staff and students that I completely forgot until after the fact.
- I will continue doing morning announcements with Inspire students.
- I plan to log in by 7:55am and announcements will start at 8:00am.
Pick Up Carline Traffic
- Please remember to not get out of your vehicle if you are in car line.
- If you need to exit your vehicle, please park.
- If you park in a handicap parking spot, please be sure to display your handicap hanger.
o If you do not have the proper display, you will be asked to move.
o If you forget your pass, please use an alternate parking spot for the day.
- Please try not to line up before 15 minutes prior to dismissal.
o This will help reduce the traffic to cars driving on Vickers and Rangewood.
Reminders on Calling Your Child in Sick and Make Up Work
- Remember students do not automatically engage in remote learning if they are sick.
- When your child is ill, please call our attendance line to excuse the absence. 719-328-6135
- Sick days are just like they normally have been.
- You are always welcome to email your child’s teacher to ask if work can be emailed.
- Otherwise, you child will get 2 days for every day sick to make up their missing work.
- If a student has to be isolated or quarantined beyond their first 48 hours of illness, then we are able to make arrangements for Inspire learning for your student.
- Grab and Go is still available on Mondays for Remote Learning
- Inspire students can visit any D11 High School location Tuesday-Friday for meals
- Breakfast is still served in person at Martinez from 7:30am-7:45am
- Meals are still free for all students through the remainder of the school year
- If you’re looking for ways for your child to be more involved, see flyer below for information around classes available through Girl Scouts
- These events are not sponsored by Martinez or D11. I am just sharing the opportunity with you.
- Our Choice Enrollment window is still open until February 13, 2021.
- If you have a 5th grade student that choices to Martinez, you need to fill out a choice permit for your D11 Middle School of choice.
o We feed into Jenkins Middle School.
- We also need your help to grow our school!
o Word of mouth
o Vote for the Gazette’s Springs Best!
o Encourage people you know/meet to enroll at Martinez
- Communication protocols for snow days remains the same as it has been in the past.
o The district will make every effort to notify families no later than 5:30am the day of.
- The notification will specify if:
o There is a 2 hour delay (school begins at 10am instead of 8am)
o There is a full snow day (no school for anyone)
o There is an e-learning day (everyone participates in remote learning online)
- Be prepared for any of these scenarios when inclement weather is forecasted.
19-20 Yearbooks Are Coming!
- We have been notified that last year’s yearbook has finally shipped after so many printing delays and issues.
- As soon as we receive them, we will prep them to be distributed.
- We will send home a Loop message to let you know that they have been sent home with your child.
- If you know someone no longer at Martinez that purchased a yearbook last year, please encourage them to contact the front office so that we have updated contact information for distribution.
January 25: Asynchronous Day
February 2: SAC/PTA via WebEx, 5:15pm/6:00pm
February 8: Asynchronous Day
February 15: President’s Day, No School
February 22: Asynchronous Day