PSTA Weekly News
Adams v. McMaster Decision
PSTA Virtual Candidate Town Halls
There are only THREE weeks remaining until Election Day! To help you prepare to vote, PSTA is continuing to hold daily conversations with candidates for the South Carolina General Assembly. This week, all the conversations will take place between 4:00-4:30, and you are welcome to join in live if you are able and interested:
- Monday, October 12th- Teresa Cain, House 60, Darlington and Florence Counties
- Tuesday, October 13th- Monica Hale Danneman, House 26, York County
- Wednesday, October 14th- Lee Blatt, Senate 22, Kershaw and Richland Counties
- Thursday, October 15th- Spencer Wetmore, House 115, Charleston County
- Friday, October 16th- Shedron Williams, House 122, Beaufort, Hampton, and Jasper Counties
If you want to join a town hall conversation live, please use the link for the appropriate date and time on this schedule. If you missed a conversation and would like to see what was discussed, check out this playlist on the PSTA TV YouTube channel. In coming weeks, be on the lookout for county-specific emails with information on candidates in your area!
Membership Survey- 2021 Legislative Agenda
The close of the 2020 session of the General Assembly included plenty of disappointment for supporters of public education in our state. But the session did end with several promises by leadership in the General Assembly to move pro-education policies in the coming year, as well as an offer from legislative leadership to meet with PSTA staff after the election to discuss legislative priorities for 2021. We plan to follow-up on that offer and to be thoroughly prepared for those conversations.
As the largest professional association for educators in South Carolina, PSTA wants to make sure that our 2021 Legislative Agenda reflects what YOU- our members- consider to be the most pressing needs in education policy in our state. To achieve this goal, we need your assistance by completing a brief survey that should take no more than 5 minutes of your time. To access the survey, click here. Please complete the survey by Friday, October 16th.
We know that you have been inundated by surveys this school year, so we don't make this request of your time lightly. However, having data from a survey like this is a powerful tool in conversations with legislators. Collectively, teachers have the power to push our state officials to adopt policies to meet the needs of students and teachers. Thank you in advance for taking a moment to help our association's efforts to provide that collective voice for educators!
Columbia College Professional Development
Beginning this month, Columbia College's APEC program will be presenting the Polishing your Performance Series.
- October 12th: Preparing for Response to Intervention by Dana Richardson. (Click here for more information)
- October 24th: REVIVED! Finding the Passion and Power of Teaching by Dr Akil E. Ross. (Click here for more information)
- November 9th: Teacher Leadership and Advocacy by Patrick Kelly. (Click here for more information)
Transatlantic Outreach Program Workshop
Click on the image above to register.
Teacher Clothes Closet- Midlands Event
2020 Census Deadline Extended
ETV's Fall Webinars
- Earn renewal or graduate credits
- 2 R2S courses offered
Free, Anytime, Virtual Learning Sessions
- Sample ETV Sessions
* Teaching with Hyperdocs
* Permission to Feel: The Power of Emotional Intelligence to Achieve Well-Being and Success
* Back to School Math Resources
Access all via www.scetv.org/at-home-learning.
- Sample PBS Sessions
* Talking to Children Authentically about Race and Racism
* Inspiring Young Scientists through STEAM Education
* Teaching the Civil War through a New Lens
Access all via www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/virtual-professional-learning-series-collection/.
Help Us Grow!
Please help us continue to grow PSTA by encouraging your colleagues to consider joining the largest professional organization for educators in South Carolina. This year more than ever, teachers need to know that PSTA is working hard to support and advocate for their needs. Thank you for all you do! Remember PSTA is here for you so you can be there for your students.
We are still offering our incentive program. For every new member* you sign up, you will receive $10 (up to $499 each year). Please feel free to print a membership application here and sign up as many new members as you can!! If you have any questions please contact our office at 803-256-2065 or email us at email@example.com
Click on the image below to view the COVID-19 FAQs.