Stephen Schwartz and Alan Menken
Stephen Schwartz History
- start in music, schooling, career in film/television, contributions to music)
- Stephen was born on March 6, in 1948 in New York City.
- He was born on July 22, 1949 in New York, NY
- He developed an interest in music at an early age and began taking lessons in piano and violin. He did not enjoy playing other composers work instead he would make up his own.
- He attended New York University’s College of Arts and Sciences, where he drifted from Pre-Med to Anthropology major to Philosophy major to finally graduating with a degree in Musicology.
- He auditioned for and was accepted in to BMI Musical Theater Workshop
- In the late 1970s he wrote many shows that were but were not produced.
- His first major professional work was "Ashman" for the off Broadway production of God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.
- Little Shop of Horrors the musical was want started Ashman popularity he was the composer. This musical got a movie deal with opened up the doors to Hollywood for Alan.
- In 1988 Disney made a deal with Alan and his friend Howard Ashman to make the music for The Little Mermaid.
- A lot of other opportunities opened up for Alan because of the huge success with the Little Mermaid.
- He was the first songwriter to ever have 3 new shows running on Broadway at the same time.
- History of the composer (born/died, start in music, schooling, career in film/television, contributions to music)
- Film/Show that started their career
- Top Films/Shows (at least 5)
- Characteristics of soundtrack music
- Highlight one movie from their career (basic plot, characters, setting)
- YouTube video (one song/piece)
- SHMRG chart of YouTube video
- Citations- Using Easy Bib!
- Different for each