Unique and Friendly
- Location: Southwest part of the Balkan Peninsula, in Southeast Europe.
- Weather: Winters are cool, wet, and cloudy. Summers are hot, clear, and dry. Potential hazards include tsunamis, floods, and droughts.
- Climate: Mild temperate.
- Two Physical Characteristics: The Shkumbin River, The North Albanian Alps
How To Fit In
- Language(s): Albanian (98.8%), Greek (0.5%), other languages (0.7%)
- Folkways: Generosity, hospitality, being married, and having children
- Taboos: Homosexuality, adultery
- Values: Freedom, heroism, marriage, and family
- Subcultures: Northern Albanians (Ghegs) and Southern Albanians (Tosks)
- Culture Landscape: Italian TV has influence along the Adriatic Coast. Albania has many meat-oriented foods. The society is patriarchal. A majority of the people are Muslim, but some are Christian. Weddings are taken very seriously, and can last for several days. Marriages are often arranged at an early age.
- Cultural Diffusion: People inhabiting the neighboring country, Kosovo, are mainly Albanian.
- Culture Change: All religious observances were prohibited in 1967, but began to be re-allowed in 1990. Albania used to be under Communist rule. Much of Albania's traditional architecture disappeared in the years 1944-1990.
Shanna Pirness, Hour 6
- Central Intelligence Agency. Central Intelligence Agency, n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015.
- "Albania Profile - Overview - BBC News." BBC News. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015.
- "Countries and Their Cultures." Culture of Albania. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015.