Mrs. Dina's Kindergarten
Week of November 3rd-7th
Food and Nutrition
Our new unit is all about Food and Nutrition. This week, we began learning about the foods that are good for us and foods that are not so good. We've created many lists, diagrams, and graphs comparing healthy vs. unhealthy foods. The food pyramid is an excellent way to get your children involved and to realize what foods belong in each group. We watched videos, read stories, made books, and wrote about our favorite foods. This week, we mainly focused on the grains group and the vegetable group. Bread is something we all love in the grains group, so we made delicious homemade bread. We even made an extra bread to share with the teachers. For the vegetable group, we had a very healthy snack consisting of carrots and cucumbers. Thank you once again for donating all of the necessary items to make this unit so memorable and enjoyable.
Exploring a Bat Cave
Thank you to Anastasi for bringing in a homemade bat cave to share with the class. Your children each had a turn (or many turns) looking into the cave with a flashlight to see the hanging bats.
A Peek At The Week
- Be sure to continue reading at home with your children
- Please fill out the reading logs in your child's folder
- Be sure to keep all reading logs in the folders
- I try to read individually with your children twice a week
- When reading folders come home, please be sure to sign the form if your child has read to you
- Reading folders should be returned the next school day
- Read to Self
- Read with a Partner
- Word Word----letter of the week and word of the week
- Understanding what we read
- Summarize the story
- Ask Questions
- Story Elements---setting, characters, problem, solution
- Title of Book
- Comparing authors
- Vowels---short a, e, i, o, u
- Beginning sounds
- Ending sounds
- Middle vowel (cvc words)
- Rhyming words
- Over the weekend...
- I have...
- My favorite food is...
- The bread group
- The vegetable group
- Always begin with a capital letter
- All other letters are lowercase
- I by itself is always big
- Number 11
- 11 number box
- Tally marks
- Counting 1-100
- Counting by 5s and 10s
- Counting backwards 30-1
- Writing numbers
- Before and after
- Ten frame
- Food and Nutrition
- Our bodies
- The Food Pyramid
Congratulations to our Star Students!
Show and Tell
Happy Namesday Michael!
- Please be sure to submit $7.50 for your child's headphones, if you have not done so already.
- Please be sure to return all pictures/payments by Monday, November 10th.
- Be sure to read with your children daily and sign the reading log. Reading logs should be kept in folders.
- Be sure to work on ixl at home. Please keep ixl logs in folders.
- Show and Tell for Friday, Nov. 14th----Eleftheria, George, Katia, Katerina
A Look Ahead
- Monday, Nov. 10th---- Making a fruit snacks
- Tuesday, Nov. 11th---Dairy snacks
- Thursday, Nov. 13th----Making homemade butter
- Friday, Nov. 14th---Show and Tell and making pizza
MAP Testing Begins
Your children will be taking the MAP test the week of Nov. 11th-nov. 15th. Please be sure your children are well rested and have a nutritious breakfast. Students have already taken the practice test and are aware and ready for testing next week.
Parent/Teacher conferences will take place on Wednesday, November 26th from 9:00am - 3:00pm. Sign-up sheets will be available beginning Nov.10th. Sign-up sheets will be available during morning drop-off and at pick-up. Report cards will be given at the time of your conference.
If you cannot attend a conference, please contact me to make other arrangements.