Maple Grove Middle School: Week of February 1-5
In This Issue....
- Calendar of Weekly Events & Upcoming Dates
- 5 Highly Effective Teaching Practices
- 8th Grade Band Field Trip
- Student Council News
- MN Student Survey
- Moonlight Bowling
- Movie Trivia
- February 1 - Licensed Staff Workshop
- February 2 - Parent Orientation Meeting for Incoming 6th Graders. Students with the Last Name A-K Attend 6-7 PM, Students with the Last Name L-Z Attend 7:15-8:15 PM
- February 3 - 8th Grade Band Field Trip 8:30-3:00
- February 3 - Non Licensed Staff Meeting 9:30 & 1:30 in the Main Office Conference Room.
- February 3 - Licensed Staff Building Professional Development 2:50-4:00 in the Media Center.
- February 4 - 7th Grade Girls Choir Concert 7 PM
- February 5 - Registration for Current 6th & 7th Grade Students for 2016-17
- February 8 - Registration for Current 6th & 7th Grade Students for 2016-17
- February 9 - Registration for Current 6th & 7th Grade Students for 2016-17
- February 9 - Building Leaders Meeting 2:50 PM in the Main Office Conference Room
- February 11 - 8th Grade takes the MN Student Survey
- February 11 - District Middle School Honor Choir 3-5 PM
- February 15 - President's Day - No School
- February 17 - District Professional Development for Licensed Staff 2:50-4:00 in the Media Center
- February 18 - 8th Grade Band Concert 7 PM
5 Highly Effective Teaching Practices
8th Grade Band Field Trip
On Wednesday, February 3rd, most of the 8th grade band members will be heading to the U of MN to rehearse with Professors Tim Diem and Jerry Luckhardt, in addition to touring the TCF Bank Stadium music facilities and observing a dress rehearsal at Ted Mann Concert Hall. The field trip will be most of the school day leaving at 8:30 AM and returning approximately 3:00 PM.
Student Council News
February 5 – Jersey Day in honor of Super Bowl Weekend
February 8-12 – Spirit Week
Monday – MN Day - Shelby Ackerman and I are thinking that the staff dress in flannel, hunting gear, or Babe the Blue Ox!
Tuesday – Twinning Day (wear the same outfit as a friend
Wednesday – Character Day (dress like your favorite character)
Thursday – Throw Back Thursday (wear something from the past
Friday – Valentine’s Day Color Day (red, white, pink, etc.)
Candy Grams are coming!! Stay tuned for more information.
Penny for Patients Fundraiser
Feb 23 - March 11
Competition for most $ raised per grade level. Competition is between houses at a grade level. More information will be coming next week.
MN State Survey
This year, our 8th grade students will be participating in the Minnesota Student Survey. Maple Grove Middle School will be administering the survey to our 8th grade students during advisory on Thursday, February 11, 2016.
Following is a brief excerpt from the survey website:
“The MINNESOTA STUDENT SURVEY (MSS) provides youth, parents and their communities a dynamic vehicle for on-going communication about issues vital to the health, safety and academic success of youth. Since the survey was first offered in 1989, it has gained a solid reputation as a reflection of the needs and strengths of adolescents. It is a valuable tool for school districts, county agencies and state agencies in planning meaningful and effective ways of supporting students and families.
The survey is voluntary, confidential and anonymous on the part of students. It is designed to be given to 5th, 8th, 9th and 11th graders and asks students questions about their activities, opinions and behaviors. The broad array of issues addressed include substance abuse (tobacco, alcohol and other drugs), school climate and safety, nutrition, academics, connections with school, family and community and many other topics”.
The students will be using their school-issued iPad. The survey should take between 35-50 minutes to complete. Notification will be sent to parents prior to the survey date.
Join in the fun at the 10th Annual Moonlight Bowling Event. This event will take place on Saturday Feb. 27th at McPete’s Sports Bar & Lanes in beautiful downtown Big Lake MN.
You do not need to be a skilled bowler to participate in this activity. You will have a chance to win some $.
This event is open to friends and significant others as well.
We will be bowling in groups of 4 to possibly 5 so if you have a group in mind please let me know.
Bowling begins at 9:00 p.m. and costs $20.00 per bowler. Directions and additional information will be coming soon.
In the movie, Grumpy Old Men, what were the names of the two main characters?
Know the answer? Email your response to email@example.com and you could win a prize!
Last week's answer: In the movie, Finding Nemo, what was the name of Nemo's teacher? Mr. Ray
Check for a prize in your box if you emailed the correct answer!