Arthropods, Mollusks, Echinoderms, Round Worms, Alivia Peggs
Arthropods, Mollusks, Echinoderms, Round Worms
arthropod - is a animal that has a jointed exoskeleton
Crustaceans - one kind of Arthropods. Crabs,lobster
Insects - animals with six jointed legs and many have wings (largest group of arthropods)
- exoskeleton covers and protects body and gives it support
- jointed legs
- jointed body
- digestive system with 2 openings
- circulatory system and a brain
- molts so exoskeleton can grow with animal
- well developed organs for site, sound and touch
- Lobsters - legs are adapted to catch prey and carry to mouth. Lobsters claws crush shells of oysters or clams and are 2 sizes for defense and tearing food.
- Arachnids - many have sharp body parts that inject poison
- Tarantulas - legs are evenly spaced for balance while walking and climbing
- Grasshoppers - mouths are adapted for crushing food and back legs are powerful for jumping.
Name two characteristics arthropods share. -
They have legs and a digestive system with two openings
Helpful and Harmful Arthropods
How do arthropods help people?
Echinoderms - Echinoderms - are invertebrates that have internal skeletons and spines sticking out from their bodies
examples: starfish, sand dollars, sea urchins, sea cucumbers
- Interval skeletons and spines.
- live only in the ocean
- get oxygen from seawater
- most adults appear to have radial symmetry
- spiny skin
- no head or brain
- tube feet
Adaptation - Mouth is at the center of underside with powerful jaws and hidden among their spines and poison glands. They also have tube feet for moving, feeding and sensing respirations
Mollusk - an animal is an animal with a soft body and no bones
Example: clams, Octopoda, slugs, snails, squids.
- have no bones
- some have shells
- some the mantle is a tough layer of skin
- reproduce sexually
Name two characteristics of snails?
The shell of a snail protects the snail from predictors
The snail takes the shell on it back everywhere