The Central Scoop
May 16, 2019
From the Principal's Desk...
Our Student Council representatives selected to support Hilda’s Place as their next service learning project for this spring. Their mission is as follows: “We serve and catalyze our community to end homelessness, one person at a time.” This agency works across the northern suburbs to provide a broad range of programs and services for those in need. The students are asking us to collect donations. The items requested include: socks, deodorant, shampoo, hats/baseball caps, sunscreen, and bug spray. There will be boxes placed around the school labeled "Hilda’s Place" where the donations can be dropped off and collected by student council representatives. The deadline for donations is May 31st.
Furthermore, on Friday, May 24th, Student Council is sponsoring a school-wide Color Day! Each grade is assigned one color and will be asked to wear as much of that color as possible. The following are the color assignments by grade level:
Kindergarten - Orange
1st Grade - Red
2nd Grade - Purple
3rd Grade - Green
4th Grade - Blue
It's hard to imagine there are only four more weeks of school. We are looking forward to culminating activities with your students in the coming days.
Central Elementary School
Upcoming Board Meeting
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, May 20th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Student Recognition
- CRC Reports
- Fiscal Year 2020 Tentative Budget
Community Law Enforcement Torch Run
On June 2nd, the Illinois Special Olympics is holding it’s annual Law Enforcement Torch Run. For a donation of $25 per person, you and your child can join members of the Wilmette Police Department and Special Olympics athletes and run the torch through Wilmette. The group will meet torch runners from other areas at the Wilmette / Kenilworth boarder at roughly 10:15 AM and run the torch down Green Bay Road to the Wilmette / Evanston Border, roughly 1.3 miles. This fun run is open to children in 3rd grade or higher, and adults are encouraged to participate too. If you are interested in joining us or would like more information, please contact Todd Shissler at email@example.com.
Illinois Computing Educator's Student Technology Showcase
Central Elementary participated in the Illinois Computing Educators’ 29th Annual Student Technology Showcase on May 7, 2019. TECH 2019 was a one-day event held in the rotunda of the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield for legislators, policy makers and other citizens to see first-hand how technology is used in classrooms across Illinois. K-12 students and teachers represented schools from around the state to demonstrate the importance of technology in education today. Lauren Wysocke, Central’s Technology teacher, attended the event in Springfield along with students Nate Butkus, Aaron Hilkert, Grace Leaker, and Olivia Svarczkopf. They shared the ways that we are using coding and robotics at Central School to enhance the curriculum and incorporate the 4C's.
Activity Day is rapidly approaching. This year's event will take place on Friday, June 7th. This event will take place "rain or shine" during the morning hours. The afternoon Kindergarten class will participate in their own Activity Day along with their buddies. We will not have a rain date this year. If we have inclement weather, we will have activity stations located through out the inside of the building.
Parent volunteers will be assigned to an activity station to lead an event. We will need approximately 2-3 volunteers from each classroom. The activities for the students will start at 9:00am. We will have a meeting for volunteers in the auditorium beginning at 8:35am - sharp. At this meeting, volunteers will receive a station assignment, learn rules/directions, practice some activities, and ask questions. We will also need volunteers for the Garden Station (to sign-up for this particular activity, look at the bottom of the sign-up page).
If you are interested in volunteering for this exciting day, please click on the "Activity Day Volunteer Sign-Up" link below and sign-up by your child's classroom teacher. A confirmation email will be sent closer to Activity Day. Please sign-up by Friday, May 31st. It does take some time to assign the volunteers to the various stations, since Ms Peth tries to assign volunteers to stations in which at least one of their child's classes will rotate through during the shift.
If you have any questions or concerns about Activity Day, please contact Kathleen Peth at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Did You Know...
PTA Announcements and Reminders...
* The PTA sends out a separate newsletter on Sundays..here are a few highlights/reminders:
4th Grade Farewell Party
The 4th Grade Farewell Party is happening on Thursday, June 13th from 6:30pm - 8:00pm at Central School. This wonderful tradition is in celebration of the 4th Graders and includes a slideshow to showcase the graduates. Guidelines for photo submissions are found on the PTA Website.
- Wilmette Fire Department will have a fire engine dedication ceremony at Fire Station #26, 1304 Lake Avenue on Saturday, May 18th from 10:00 - 12:00 noon. Join this family fun event with raffles and giveaways.
- Winnetka Youth Organization hosts Junior Game Night for 7th - 12th graders on Friday, May 24th 6:00-9:00 pm.
- Wilmette Baseball Association has opened Summer League Registration for students in Kindergarten - 3 grades.
- Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Summer Scavenger Hunt June 17 - August 4th.
- Trevian Juniors is a softball program for girls ages 6-10. Go to the website for tryout information.
- Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
- Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
- The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Family Action Network (FAN) - Click HERE for information about FAN and upcoming speakers.
From the Nurse's Office
Call Central School "Attendance Line" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Please call the Attendance Line to report absences even if you let the classroom teacher know, because some teachers don't see the email/voicemail until later in the day. Teachers assume you are calling the office. It's important that the school nurse is directly aware of any absences otherwise, your son/daughter may be considered "missing." The school nurse keeps track of all school absences in the building. For safety reasons, we want to make sure all of our students are accounted for and safe.
New Central Health Office Website!!
Here is your go-to site for all of your health related questions including PE/Recess Notes, Health Requirements, Dental Examinations, Allergy and Asthma, Medications, Snacks in Classrooms, Lice, Influenza...and more!
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.
Our PE Department is now on Twitter too!
The twitter handle is @CentralFoxesPE.
Save the Dates...
5/21 - Bike Safety Day, 2nd Grade
5/27 - NO SCHOOL, Memorial Day
5/28 - 4th Grade Bike to Highcrest (voluntary) 3:15pm
5/29 - Incoming Kindergarten Meet & Greet
5/30 - Honor Dr. Lechner 4:00pm-6:00pm at the district office
5/30 - Last Pop Tab collection of the school year
5/31- Last day for this year’s WandRaiser (see flyer above)
6/6 - 4th Grade Music Performance @2:00pm
6/7 - Activity Day Rain or Shine! (if rain, will move indoors)
6/13 - Last Day of Kindergarten
6/13 - 4th Grade Farewell
6/14 - Last Day of School Grades 1-4, Early Dismissal @ 11:55am