Second Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Barita, Mrs. Carrasco, Mrs. Kulesza
*Monday, May 9th will be "Day 5 " for Encore*
Lifework-Week of May 9-13, 2016
- Monday: Read & log 10 minutes, Begin working on Young Author's Day books
- Tuesday: Read & log, Spelling-Rainbow Style-3 colors
- Wednesday: Read & log, Spelling-ABC order
- Thursday: Read & log, Spelling-Write each word 3 times-test tomorrow
- Weekend: Read & log
*The Young Author's Day assignment is being sent home on Friday, May 6th. Please work on it a little bit each week until it is due.
Our current unit in science is Life Cycles. Key Concepts:
- Life Cycle of a butterfly
- Life Cycle of a frog
- Life Cycle of a white-tailed deer
- Life Cycle of a flowering plant
*The Life Cycle test will be on Friday, May 13th. A study guide was sent home on Friday, May 6th
Our current unit in math is Unit 9 Number Sense and Computation-Part 5. Key concepts:
- Create and solve story problems
- Addition and subtraction of 2-digit numbers (with regrouping)
- Estimating sums and differences
- Count and compare a collection of coins (up to $2.00)
Spelling Words-Test 5/13/16
- 5/16-PTO Meeting & Elections-7p.m.
- 5/21-PTO Spring Festival 10a.m.-2p.m.
- 5/23-Advisory Council-6p.m.
- 5/27-Interims go home
- 5/30-NO SCHOOL-Memorial Day Holiday
- 5/31-Students community service hours due
- 6/1-"Transition to Third Grade" Night-6:30-7:30p.m. Families of rising 3rd graders are encouraged to come. The team will present information on how to help your child make a smooth transition to third grade!
Spring Fling Baskets
Over the past few years, our PTO has funded many items to improve our students’ learning, including subscriptions to online programs, projectors for the Smart Boards, field trips and more. One of the biggest fundraising events of the school year is the Spring Fling. Each class puts together a themed gift basket to be auctioned off during the fling. These baskets are amazing and elaborate, and raise a ton of money for the school! We are once again asking for your help with class baskets. Our themes are as follows:
Mrs. Barita-"Spa-Tacular" spa/pampering items
Mrs. Carrasco-"Labor of Love" baby items
Mrs. Kulesza-"Clean House" cleaning supplies
PTO needs many volunteers to make the festival successful! Please use the signup if you can help. Thank you in advance for supporting this fun and worthwhile event!
I have a little shadow
that goes in and out with me.
And what can be the use of him
is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me
from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me,
when I jump into my bed.
The funniest thing about him
is the way he likes to grow-
Not at all like proper children,
which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller
like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes goes so little
that there’s none of him at all.
By: Robert Louis Stevenson
Barita: Library, Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE
Carrasco: Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library
Kulesza: PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library, Music