Memorial Elementary School Newsletter
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop
The Kindness Keepers is now sponsoring a "21 Day Random Act of Kindness Challenge." Students who are caught doing 'Random Acts of Kindness' by the staff or by the Kindness Keepers will have their names added to the wall of kindness. (The Kindness Keepers is a club sponsored by Mrs. Schoff. They are working to spread kindness throughout the school and community.)
Save the Date (s):
19 Martin Luther KIng Day - No school for students
20 Circle the State Practice begins today, 3:15 - 4:00 (through February 24)
22 Discovery Fair, 6-7 p.m.
23 Report Cards are available at 8 a.m.
26 8 am Student Council
27 4th/5th Grade Choir Resumes - every Tuesday, 8 a.m.
3 Jumpstart Begins (all Tuesday and Thursdays in February)
6 & 20 Kindness Keepers, 8 a.m.
6-11 Student Council Sells Smencils
12 Valentine Day Celebrations/Parties
13 & 16 Mid-winter Break - no school
20 Carnival, 5 p.m.
23 Student Council Meets, 8 a.m.
26 MATH Bowl (time TBA)
28 Circle the State with Song Festival
MATH BOWL meets every Wednesday afternoon until 4:00 p.m. and Thursday mornings at 7:50 a.m.
AFTER SCHOOL SPORTS - Follow the schedule at: http://www.valpo.k12.in.us/Page/1834
PICK-UP and DROP-OFF Reminder
Additionally, if your child is a walker and you are now picking up during the winter, please let the school know and we will have your child in the car-rider line. The line of parked cars on Park Avenue after school often blocks the traffic on Center and Park and causes congestion.
Kindergarten: Lucas H. and Ben G.
Grade 1: Ava M. and Bri F.
Grade 2: Karson T. and Chloe M.
Grade 3: Anni C. and Hunter M.
Grade 4: Dannie P. and Katelyn M.
Grade 5 : Lucas K. and Eli N.
Their names will be posted on the new Data Wall in the front lobby, along with the students with perfect attendance, each quarter.
Miscellaneous NOTES & REMINDERS:
- Follow Memorial Elementary on Twitter @Valpo_Memorial
- Thank you to all the parents who volunteered for the Holiday Parties. The students had a great time!
- Thank you to the parents who completed the AdvancEd Parent Survey before Christmas. Your input is valuable as we go through the school improvement process.
- Report cards will be available on the RDS Parent Portal on Friday, January 23 at 8 a.m. If you have any questions about the report card or your child's progress, please call your child's teacher.
- We are looking for a few pairs of snow boots for students in need. If you have any new or gently used snow boots in children and young teen sizes, which you are willing to donate, please let us know.
- Please send a note, or email Mrs. Molnar, in the morning with all changes in transportation. When calls are made during the busy school day, there is a chance that the message may get delayed and/or not delivered. If you have an emergency during the day, which merits a change in transportation, the best way to send the message is to Mrs. Molnar's email: email@example.com.
- Please remind your child to check the Lost and Found for any missing clothing or winter wear items. It is growing daily. You are welcome to come look through it as well, as sometimes the students do not look as thoroughly as adults.
- If you need a copy of the New Wellness Policy, please ask in the office. There is a list of acceptable birthday/classroom treats. The teachers appreciate pre-packaged and pre-portioned treats.
- A Background Check Application is required to be completed by school visitors and volunteers each school year. Anyone coming to help with holiday parties must have one completed a week in advance.
The ISTEP+ Language Art Sample Questions can be found at
Mathematics Sample Questions can be found at
Keep your eyes open for a pamphlet from Memorial about ISTEP+. It will be coming home with students in grades 3-5.
If you have any questions about the ISTEP+ you may contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Misecko.
SUB AIDES NEEDED!
You can find the Memorial PTO News at: http://www.memorialelementarypto.com/
- PTO is in need of Saturday Night Live (SNL) Volunteers. SNL is a Saturday afternoon/evening Reading Event for 4th and 5th grade students run by parent volunteers. The school is transformed and events are planned to go with a secret theme. The evening culminates at VHS for fun in the field house and swimming. Everyone goes home at 11. Volunteers are needed to plan and facilitate activities, chaperone the students in their groups, and help with set up and clean up. Please let Kathy Danzi know if you are able to help out.