April 19, 2021 Principal Message
Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
Dear Jeffreys Grove Families,
We hope you've had a restful and enjoyable weekend. We've had a fantastic time since returning to school from spring break. We welcomed back 17 additional students to on campus learning! We are looking forward to starting a full week of school this week.
Two weeks ago was National Assistant Principal's Week. We made sure all week long to celebrate the important role of our Assistant Principal, Ms. Scott. I know you join me in celebrating all that she does for the students, staff, and the JGE community. This week is National Administrative Professionals Day - we couldn't be more proud of our front office staff. Please be sure to show them your appreciation for how they serve our school. We are grateful for Ms. Hicks, Ms. Readshaw and Ms. Gregory!
April 19-23 will be Spirit Week at Jeffreys Grove so be sure to mark your calendars so you can show your school spirit and have some fun! Below you’ll find pertinent information to keep handy.
JGE Spirit Week - April 19-23
We encourage all students and staff (Plan A and Virtual Academy) to participate in our Spirit Week April 19-23. Let's have some fun and show our school spirit!
Click the link to see the flyer and get your outfits ready! - JGE Spirit Week Flyer
- April 28 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- May 5 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- May 26 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- June 10 - last day of school for students
Changes to On-Site Health Screenings
Our school continues to stress the need for students and staff to stay home if they suspect they may be infected or exposed to COVID-19. We will continue to share these reminders during daily announcements, the principal messages to families as well as teacher messages.
The goal is to ensure every person who steps onto our campus for any reason is made aware in multiple ways that they must leave if they suspect they may be infected or exposed to COVID-19.
These steps are being taken to replace health screening protocols that are no longer required by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.
Especially now that we are no longer conducting on-site health screenings, we need your help to keep our school community healthy by keeping your student home if they are not feeling well or have been diagnosed with or exposed to COVID-19. Thank you for your cooperation. Read More.
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
Our Teachers are wrapping up spring conferences with individual families to discuss your child's progress thus far. Parents should expect to get an invitation to participate in spring conferences during the month of April. Your participation is vital to discussing summer supports, resources and programs. Please reach out to your child's teacher is you have not received an invitation yet.
· Please read and review the district's Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols information. Please ensure you've read this information and reviewed it with your child. Return this form with your student when they come to school. Additionally, please sign the acknowledgement page and return it to school with your child. This only applies to students that have not already been in the building second semester.
· All visitors/students must wear a mask on our campus. If your child forgets a mask, we will provide a disposable mask for them at the front door.
· All parents will drop students off outside the main entrance door. Parents are not permitted to enter the building for any reason. If you have business to conduct at the school, please let the person at the front door know and they’ll get a staff member to come outside to assist you.
· Carpool patterns remain the same as earlier in the year.
· If your student is a bus rider, please make sure to read and fill out the Bus Attestation form and return it electronically or print and sign a copy to give to your child to bring to school.
· When you return via carpool to pick your child up in the afternoon, please know it will take longer for them to get outside because they must dismiss from their classroom.
When you arrive for morning carpool, you will be greeted by an adult that will help you get familiarized with the new self screening criteria. Students MUST remain in the car for this and parents must stay until it is completed.
Parents cannot exit the vehicle in the carpool loop for any reason. It is not safe for adults to be outside of the car and it can hold up the carpool process. In the morning, parents should remain in the car and unbuckle any child safety seat straps that may prevent their child from exiting the vehicle.
Students need to exit the car onto the sidewalk, not in the middle of the carpool loop.
Lastly, please be conscientious of your speed in the parking lot.
Guidance Update for Handling Suspected, Presumptive, or Positive Cases of COVID-19
To align with updated guidance from the NC Department of Health and Human Services, we have updated our protocols for handling suspected, presumptive, or positive cases of COVID-19. We’ve updated our list of symptoms that should prompt a student to stay home, so that it now includes:
- A fever of 100.4 degrees or higher,
- sore throat,
- new cough,
- new difficulty breathing or shortness of breath,
- new loss of taste of smell,
- diarrhea or vomiting,
- or the new onset of a severe headache.
In addition, effective immediately, household members are no longer required to stay home if a student or employee living in the same household is experiencing a symptom of illness, but has not been diagnosed with COVID-19. Students are required to quarantine if someone they live with has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
Accessing Instruction While Absent
If your child must quarantine due to having a symptom of illness, exposure or a positive COVID diagnosis, we will temporarily place them in a Virtual Academy classroom so that they can access their work. They are only expected to access their work if they are feeling well enough to do so! If they are ill and cannot complete their work, please let the teacher know and they will work to allow them to make it up upon their return.
Important: Technology Guidance for In-Person Learning
When students return to in-person learning, the school does not have devices for them to use. Therefore, the following guidance will apply when we return to in-person learning:
- Students with WCPSS devices should bring their device to and from school.
- Students who are using a personal device can choose to bring their device to school. If you choose to send your child with his/her own personal device, parents will be required to sign a BYOD form or email the teacher to let them know you approve of your child bringing his/her personal device to school. Additionally, students will be responsible for following Health and Safety guidelines which state that students cannot share a device with another student.
New Phone Number for Technology Help Desk
The phone number to reach the Technology Help Desk is changing to 919-664-5700. Callers will be prompted to indicate they are calling as a student/parent/guardian, or as a WCPSS staff member.
- Looking for ways to support JGMES? Click here to register your student(s) for the Spring No Fuss Fundraiser and share their custom link with friends and family to ensure that each Jeffreys Grove classroom is outfitted with the same quality technology being installed in new schools.
- Looking to get more involved at JGMES? You came to the right place! We are in need of volunteers year round to help make JGMES the best school it can be. Please take a moment to fill out our PTA Volunteer Interest Survey. Thank you in advance; we couldn't do this without YOU! Note: Completing this survey does not obligate you to do anything.
- Looking for ways to get connected with the JG PTA and other Jeffreys Grove families? Join Memberhub! The Jeffreys Grove PTA uses Memberhub as a means of communication with families throughout the year. Cheri Thomas, the JG PTA President, sends out a weekly newsletter, providing "save the date" information, fundraising updates, advocacy information, and other school-wide information. Please click here to join Jeffreys Grove Memberhub."