Messages from Memorial
WE ARE VIKINGS WITH HEART!
Kindergarten students showing their school spirit.
Thank you to the PTO for all the help cleaning up the courtyard.
Students enjoying group time in the courtyard
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Can you believe we are almost through our first quarter of school? How time flies! I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but I really have to brag about your kids at school. They are doing such a great job with all the safety precautions and continue to show their HEARTS! I am so proud of them. I am also quite proud of all the remote learners who are staying on top of their work and following along in their daily lessons. All the parent involvement and encouragement does not go unnoticed by the teachers and staff.
I am excited for the fun activities planned for October at Memorial. All the primary students will get to have a day of pumpkin fun on October 15 and get to pick out a pumpkin from the Memorial "Pumpkin Patch" to bring home. This is being sponsored by PTO. They are also sponsoring a virtual Pumpkin Carving/Decorating contest. You will be recieving more information about that soon. Meanwhile your family should start brainstorming a pumpkin creation to enter. We will also be having a Halloween celebration on October 30. The teachers will be sharing the guidelines for costumes in their classroom.
Additionally, we are now at the end of the first quarter. Students have settled into their work habits and learned to navigate the new changes in school this year. Their first quarter grades are important, as they reflect how your child is progressing and showing academic success. Please review the first quarter report cards, available on Skyward on October 16. It is a great time to reflect and make learning goals for the remainder of the year. Teachers will be setting up conferences for September 21 and 22 to review individual student progress and answer your questions.
With Great Respect,
Mrs. Debra Misecko, Principal
Dates to Remember
7 - Chipotle Family Night
9 - End of First Grading Period
12 & 13 - Fall Break
14 - PTO Meeting via Zoom at 3:45 (link will be sent that week)
15 - Pumpkin Day for K-2
21 & 22 - Parent Teacher Conferences (more information is coming soon)
22 & 23 - Early Dismissal for Students (12:20 p.m.)
28 - Noodles and Company Family Night
30 - Halloween Parties
3 - Election Day and eLearning Day (instead of Wednesday Nov. 4)
Habit #2 - Begin with the End in Mind
Memorial continues to focus on sharing The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Dr. Stephen Covey. We will talk about one of the 7 Habits each month. The October Habit is Habit #2 - Begin with The End in Mind." Students are taught that "To Begin With The End in Mind" means that, "I plan ahead and think how my actions help me achieve my goals. I am purposeful to meet the end goal." For more information please read more from Dr. Stephen Covey's website.
We are so excited to announce the PTO Executive Board for the 2020-2021 school year and greatly appreciate their willingness to work in these valued positions.
President - Kristen Elinkowski
Vice President - Rose Gutshall
Treasurer - Megan Taylor
Secretary - Rae Smedley
Stay tuned for more information coming about 20-21 PTO events. They will be shared in the Memorial Newsletter, on the Memorial Elementary PTO Facebook page, and the Memorial PTO Website.
Check out the video below about the plants around Memorial. It was made by Michelle Benson at Porter County Soil & Water Conservation District just for our students.
Love and Logic is a great opportunity for parents. It's not too late to join.
Box Tops for Education Continues
THE NEXT PTO MEETING WILL BE AT 3:45 on October 14 via ZOOM (link will be emailed that week.)
Reminders for Remote Learners
- Congrats on learning how to navigate this tricky way of learning. You are doing great! It is really fun for us to see you during your live sessions.
- Please remember to be ready for your Zoom sessions on time. Being ready means that you are logged on, have removed distractions from your learning area, put away all food and drinks, and have the needed school supplies ready to go.
- Keep your computer on mute until you are ready to speak. Keep in mind when your computer is not on mute, the entire classroom is hearing all noises from your home. Family discussions can be distracting.
- Remote student attendance is determined by the students' completion of the class participation for the day, whether it is one or more live sessions.
- If your child is ill and cannot participate, please inform your child's teacher and the office in the morning.
- Classroom teachers will let you know if there are books or materials to pick up. When necessary, you will have contactless pick up in the front vestibule. Please come during office hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Information about including remote learners for picture day will be sent in a separate email, stay tuned.
Reminders from Memorial
- Please make sure that you are screening for Covid 19 symptoms before sending your child to school. This link can take you to the VCS Return to Learn Plan and the screening guidelines.
- Thank you for following your dismissal plans as written.
- We recognize that family situations change from week to week for various reasons, and we will accommodate weekly dismissal plans as needed. Those plans need to be in the office by 10 a.m. on Monday morning. That gives us time to communicate with all stakeholders and to make provisions for assigned seats, if needed.
- Unfortunately we cannot accommodate mid-day switches for convenience, as it is difficult to make sure all of our safety provisions can be in place and that we can communicate the change with the appropriate personnel. If it is truly an emergency, please call the school office to discuss your needs.
- If your child gets picked up in a car from school, please continue to follow the correct times for lining up: Last names of A-K dismissal begins at 3:10 and last names beginning L-Z start dismissal at 3:20.
- Morning supervision and breakfast begin at 8:50. Please drop off your child after 8:50. If they would like to eat breakfast we will send them right in. All other students will be let in the building at 9:00 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 9:15.
- Pick up and drop off should only be done along the school on the curb on Milton Street. Students should not be dropped off or picked up in the school parking lots. The parking lots are not supervised for safety.
- Please consider putting a spare mask in your child's backpack. Some students are experiencing mask malfunctions during the school day.
- Please refrain from sending your child to school in flip flops. Flip flops are not safe on the playground and are also likely to break during play.