We Are Together Tamanend!
November 16, 2018
Thank You for Reading Our Newsletter!
Tamanend Honors Veterans
8th Grade Field Trip
The 8th grade travelled to historic Philadelphia on November 13th. As part of the trip, students explored the new Museum of the American Revolution. While learning about the people, events, and ideas of the American Revolution, students engaged in a variety of hands on activities. Thank you to all of our 8th Grade teachers and parent chaperones for making this memorable trip possible!
Reminder--Middle Bucks Institute of Technology Open House--Nov. 29
Reminder--MBIT Meeting at Tamanend for Interested 9th Graders--November 19 During 7th Period
Link to Unity Peer Leadership Training--Saturday 11/17--8:30 AM
Fall Pep Rally--Tuesday 11/20
Early Dismissal--Tuesday 11/20
Thanksgiving Recess for Students--Wednesday 11/21--Friday 11/23
Middle Bucks Institute of Technology (MBIT) Open House (for current 9th Graders)--Thursday 11/29--starts at 6:00 PM--at MBIT
November's Featured Teacher--Mrs. Higgins
Hello Tamanend! This month’s Feature Teacher is….Mrs. Higgins! Mrs. Higgins has been a 7th grade teacher for 18 years and her favorite part of teaching is when her students comprehend what they are learning. Outside of school Mrs. Higgins' hobbies include making family photo books and taking walks. Her favorite vacation spot is Australia. Mrs. Higgins attended Bucknell University. Her favorite food is Chinese and favorite candy is Reese’s peanut butter cups. Mrs. Higgins' favorite color is purple. Her favorite genre of music is pop, and her favorite show is This Is Us. If you love The Series of Impossible Events, you and Mrs. Higgins have something in common! When Mrs. Higgins retires, she hopes to retreat to somewhere warm, NO snow or cold! Well that’s all for this month’s feature teacher!
--Submitted by Paige S.
Tamanend Coffee House a Success!
Thirty-three student acts performed at the Tamanend Coffeehouse on Friday evening, November 9th. Congratulations to all the talented performers! Thanks to everyone who attended!
Southside STEM Club Astronomy Night
Unami and Tamanend students from the Southside STEM Club participated in Astronomy Night on Wednesday evening. Astronomers from the Bucks-Mont Astronomical Association shared their knowledge, explained how to use sky maps, and showed how a variety of telescopes worked.
NJHS Thanksgiving Food Drive
ELD Night at Barclay Elementary School
On November 8, Tamanend Spanish students Chloe S., Yahir M., Joseph L., Emma W., Elly U., Ava R., Brianna Q., Shivani P., and Benjamin B. participated in an English Language Development night at Barclay Elementary. The Tamanend students helped to set up food for the dinner and tasted empanadas, tamales, and other dishes. They students greeted and spoke with ELD families in Spanish and English. Everyone enjoyed a fun evening of culture including music and an art exhibition!
Tamanend Student Poet Honored
Congratulations to Ninth Grade student, Ananya Siragavarapu, on receiving an honorable mention in the Michener Museum’s Ekphrastic poetry contest! All winning poems will be displayed with the artwork in the exhibition 30 Years: Art at the Michener between November 19 through December 2nd.
Thank You For Donating to Treats for Troops
We would like to thank everyone who graciously donated to our Treats for Troops campaign. Last Thursday Mrs. Stryjak and Mrs. Losey were able to take 205 pounds of candy to the drop off location so that our troops either in VA hospitals or on active duty overseas can have a little treat! Again a huge thank you to everyone who donated!
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is January 10
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
News from the Athletic Department
Congratulations to the 7th Grade football team on a tremendous undefeated season!
- If you are interested in participating in WRESTLING or BOYS BASKETBALL, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Winter sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- If you played a Fall sport, your physical is already on file. Therefore you only need to submit Section 7/Recertification of the PIAA physical.
- If you did not play a Fall sport, you must submit Sections 5 & 6 of the PIAA physical.
- For those planning to WRESTLE, whether you played a Fall sport or not…please register on Family ID and submit your physical paperwork as soon as possible as Wrestling begins Monday, November 19th. If you have specific questions about wrestling, please email Coach McAuley at email@example.com.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Tryouts for Girls Basketball are Friday, November 16 from 6:00-8:30; Saturday, November 17 from 11:30-2:30; and Sunday, November 18 from 11:00-2:00.
- Tryouts for Boys Basketball are Friday, November 16 from 5:00-6:30 (9th Grade only; in the Auxiliary Gym); Saturday, November 17 from 8:30-11:30; and Monday, November 19 from 3:00-6:00.
- There will be a mandatory player meeting for all 9th Grade girls interested in playing lacrosse at 3pm on Thursday, November 15th in Room D204. Anyone interested in trying out this Spring should attend. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Craig - firstname.lastname@example.org
- All girls Grades 9-12 interested in trying out for CB South Softball: There will be parent/player meeting on Monday, November 19, at 7:00 pm in the Forum. Winter workout schedules will be discussed and distributed. Please contact Coach Rosini with any questions - email@example.com
- The C.B. South Baseball parent/player interest meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, November 20th at 7:00pm in the Forum at C.B. South
- There will be an interest meeting for all 9th grade Tamanend boys interested in playing volleyball at CB South on Monday, Dec. 3rd at 6pm in the Tamanend Cafeteria. Parents and students should plan to attend.
Reminder--Early-Bird Online Discount for Tamanend Yearbook
From now until December 31, 2018 the price of the Tamanend yearbook is $35. After December 31, the price will be $40. To take advantage of these early-bird online yearbook specials, click here.
Reminder--FEAST--Feeding Everyone at Special Times
CB Cares--Boomerang Award
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900