Monday March 28th, 2016
Our first round of STAAR testing has arrived! As your continue to work with your students today and after this first round of testing it is important to stay purposful in your instruction and not fall back on "reviewing" materials from eairler in the year. All instruction should be focused on students gaining "Mastery" of specific TEKS that will both be tested and will support tested TEKS in future years.
The Link(s) below have a wealth of information and a number of strategies that can be used to keep students focused and motivated while continuing to prepair for their upcoming exams.
Standardized Test Preparation
- Test Prep Throughout the Year (4)
- Calming Student Nerves (7)
- Test-Taking Skills and Vocabulary (4)
- Reading and Writing Strategies (5)
- Ideas for Content Review (5)
Let's have a great week!
Upcoming Professional Development
Monday, April 4
- AVID - Collaboration & Team Building
- Book Study 2 - Session 3
Monday, April 11
Monday, April 18
- Finishing Strong - Teacher/CIC Led Sessions
Monday, April 25
- Book Study 2 - Session 4 (Wrap Up)
Hallway Duty and Passing Periods Expectations
- PROTECT- arrive at your post on time to ensure safety.
- EXPECT- seek out students who need to be reminded about rules, passes, and uniform expectations.
- CONNECT- smile and call students by name. Use Encouragement.
- CORRECT- I correct student misbehavior consistently student to student, day to day.
Weekly Classroom Management Tips
If students know that will miss out on a quiz or miss out on important instructions because class starts right on time, they will be less apt to be late. Have reliable and loyal student helpers pass out folders and work to ensure students sit down as soon as they arrive, making starting on time possible.
The Late Log
Cut down on tardiness among students by keeping your tardy log taped to your door. Have students who are not in class when the bell rings sign the log. Make sure that their names and id's are correct before turning in to Ms. Hale in attendance.
Comments, Questions and/or Concerns
-- Stockard Showcase --
Chess as Stockard
Mr. Smith, our newest teacher, has a chess team in the works. Students are working with him at both lunch and after school to work on their game.
There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth... not going all the way, and not starting." - Buddha
Hello Spring !
- Revisit classroom goals (academic and behavior)
- Set new classroom goals (Display on butcher paper and have students initial)
Sample Classroom Goal: 100% of students in 3rd period will pass Reading STAAR
As we enter into a new season, consider trying something new. Think about using collaborative/cooperative learning group table mats to hold students accountable for critically listening during whole class instruction (Click title at the bottom)
CIC's will continue to work with small groups in your classroom as we approach our first round of STAAR !
STAAR (7th Writing, 8th Reading/Math) March 29th and 30th
8th Grade School Picture April 5th
Bad Weather Day - No School - April 11th