NACP Parents In the Know
News From Our Principal, Dr. Guerrero
ISSUE # 28 - MAY 7, 2021
NACP Teachers & Staff Are the BEST!
Message from the Principal
Happy Friday to all of you! After a little over a year of having students learning from home via Zoom, it was refreshing to have our kids back for in-person instruction. On Wednesday we welcomed TK, Kindergarten and First Grade Students; on Thursday we welcomed Second and Third grade students and today we welcomed our fourth and fifth grade students.
The enthusiasm in kids faces when they entered campus for the first time was nice to witness. At the end of the day, students shared their excitement with parents as they recounted the events for the day. I think this excitement was best captured by the following statement made by a kindergarten student as he greeted his mom at the end of the day,
" Mom this was the bestest day ever! My teacher is even more fun than in my zoom class. Can I do this again?"
The students I spoke to in other grade levels shared similar experiences, noting just how happy being at our school has made them. Ms. De Revere and I took some pictures and have included them in this newsletter.
This week was TEACHER A& STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK. We celebrated our NACP Staff with treats, a new NACP shirt, a personalized cookie, and a catered luncheon. If you'd like to show your appreciation for our teachers and staff please do so. It could be as simple as saying thank you, sending a special email, a card or a flower from your garden. I am sure your child's teacher would be more than grateful for your appreciation and continued support.
In this issue I will share information on COVID Testing and the Daily Pass; Meals Update,
FIRST DAY PHOTOS
DAILY PASS AND COVID TESTS
I would like to take a moment to apologize for all the trouble you're going through in trying to set up your Parent Portal-- Daily Pass accounts. We are in daily contact with the LAUSD personnel managing the program and the portal. The glitches in the system are being addressed as they present themselves. It almost seems that this an ongoing occurrence, one glitch gets fixed and another arises. However, please note that we will help you with what we can as long as it is within our means to do so.
Parent Portal PINs:
- If your PIN does not work or you don't have one yet, please call NACP we will gladly help you- Vanessa has been amazing!!! And helps everyone with a smile
Daily Pass/Temperature Checks:
- Once set up it can be used to book COVID-19 Test appointments, the results will come directly to the portal, and the school administrators will receive the test results
- The Health Questions must be answered every single day the student is in attendance, this will generate a Daily Pass QR Code for your child to present upon arrival
- If you forget to answer the questions in the portal or you do not have a printer or were unable to get a QR Code due to technology issues, please do not worry- we will ask the questions in person, followed by a non-invasive temperature check
Daily Pass Helpline:
- The helpline is only to be used once you have set up a Daily Pass Account
- If your PIN is not working contact us, if you call the helpline they will direct you to the school for additional support
- You can walk-in to any of the LAUSD testing sites to have your child tested for COVID- the two sites closest to NACP are Reseda High School and Northridge Middle School
- Having the COVID test done at an LAUSD site will give parents the opportunity to consent to have students tested by the mobile unit that will visit the school every other week
- You may take your child to any testing facility of your choice, however you would then have to upload the results to Daily Pass if you have set that up
- Students enrolled in in person instruction who present a valid proof of a negative COVID-19 Test at the school (paper copy- digital copy) will be allowed on campus given that they also pass the daily health screening questions and do not have a fever
- Each negative COVID Test is valid for two (2) weeks from the date it was taken, if using the Daily Pass Portal it will give
- If you did not receive a confirmation for your child's negative COVID test and you took your child to an LAUSD Testing site, call the school and leave a message with an office staff member. They will check with an administrator and will provide an answer. Administrators will also be outside the school in the morning and can provide those answer
NACP SHIRTS AND HOODIES
Ms. Garcia will have shirts and sweatshirts available for sale this upcoming week on Tuesdays. She has shared information via Remind.
ENROLL YOUR CHILD AT NEW ACADEMY CANOGA PARK, A PLACE OF POSSIBILITY
Share the news with friends, family, neighbors, on social media, local organizations!
WE HAVE SPACES AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES FOR 2021-2022
Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
Kindergarten English Only
First Grade English Only
First Grade Dual Immersion (with verification)
WAITING LIST FOR 2021-2022
Kindergarten Dual Immersion (6 year commitment)
2nd through 5th Grades
NACP HAS PROVIDED 62,000 MEALS TO CHILDREN SINCE AUGUST 2020
MEALS DURING REOPENING
NACP is committed to providing meals (breakfast and lunch) to children who attend NACP and also children from our community.
Students attending In-Person instruction M, W, TH, F:
- Breakfast in the classroom will be served daily
- Lunch will be given inside a bag for students to take home (meal, drink, fruit)
- Students in the Learning Center After School Care will also receive a ready to eat sack lunch from the school and the Learning Center will provide an evening snack
- On Mondays students will take home an extra lunch and breakfast for Tuesday
Students participating in Distance Learning and Children in the Community:
- Grab and Go Meals will be provided every Tuesday
9:00am to 12:00pm
1:00pm to 2:30 pm
- Stop by the front of the school to pick up 5 Breakfast Meals and 5 Lunch Meals for each child in their household. Each Entrée includes a main dish, 1 or 2 sides, 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, and a drink.
STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN IN-PERSON LEARNING TK-5TH (FIRST DAY)
Monday, May 10th, 8-11am
21425 Cohasset Street
Los Angeles, CA
NEED HELP WITH YOUR CHROMEBOOK?
Beehively Is Here to Help With Technology
Please call Techabee first between 8:00am and 5:00pm M-F. They will be able to answer all your questions about technology support and troubleshooting your child's device or feel free to email them...
Do you need to stop by? Make an appointment
If you are having issues with your Chromebook please call Beehively first (number above). If our IT personnel is unable to help you resolve the issue and you need to exchange the Chromebook, please email the office to make an appointment. Appointments will only be available on Mondays (except for holidays). Please note that we can only have a limited number of people in our office.
Please email us at email@example.com to make an appointment.
Please note that if you come to the office without an appointment there will be no office personnel at the school site- we are working from home per a directive from our Board of Directors . We thank you in advance for your patience and support.
Thanks for helping us keep you safe! We thank you for keeping us safe too!
- Phone Messenger- "Phone Blasts"
- Remind Application (Please sign up with your child's classroom teacher or for the school's through the Parent Center)
- School Website: https://www.newacademycanoga.com
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- In person (if needed)
Please make sure we have your most up to date contact information including your address, phone numbers, and email addresses.
N.E.W. Academy Canoga Park
By email or By Appointment Only
Please Email us to Make an Appointment to See an Administrator
All Social Distancing Measures Must Be Followed