Friday Focus 9/16
From the desk of Christopher J. Blake
Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow
Empowering today’s students to embrace tomorrow’s possibilities.
Our mission is to foster and motivate high level learning through innovative strategies to create lifelong learners in a safe and positive environment that partners with a diverse community.
Message for the Week
Sense of Humor
A sense of humor can help you become a successful teacher. Your sense of humor can relieve tense classroom situations before they become disruptions. A sense of humor will also make class more enjoyable for your students and possibly make students look forward to attending and paying attention. Most importantly, a sense of humor will allow you to see the joy in life and make you a happier person as you progress through this sometimes stressful career.
A Positive Attitude
A positive attitude is a great asset in life. You will be thrown many curve balls in life and especially in the teaching profession. A positive attitude will help you cope with these in the best way.
An effective teacher must have high expectations. You should strive to raise the bar for your students. If you expect less effort you will receive less effort. You should work on an attitude that says that you know students can achieve to your level of expectations, thereby giving them a sense of confidence too. This is not to say that you should create unrealistic expectations. However, your expectations will be one of the key factors in helping students learn and achieve.
In order to create a positive learning environment, your students should know what to expect from you each day. You need to be consistent. This will create a safe learning environment for the students and they will be more likely to succeed. It is amazing that students can adapt to teachers throughout the day that range from strict to easy. However, they will dislike an environment in which the rules are constantly changing.
Many people confuse fairness and consistency. A consistent teacher is the same person from day to day. A fair teacher treats students equally in the same situation. For example, students complain of unfairness when teachers treat one gender or group of students differently. It would be terribly unfair to go easier on one group of students versus another. Students pick up on this so quickly, so be careful of being labeled unfair.
One of the tenets of teaching should be that everything is in a constant state of change. Interruptions and disruptions are the norm and very few days are 'typical'. Therefore, a flexible attitude is important not only for your stress level but also for your students who expect you to be in charge and take control of any situation.
- 9/19 Three Lakes Gators 7 A/B Football vs. Hubbard 5:00 & 6:30 PM @ TMF Rose Stadium
- 9/20 Three Lakes Gators 8 A/B Football vs. Hubbard 5:00 & 6:30 PM @ TMF Rose Stadium
- 9/21 Faculty Meeting @ 4 PM in the Library
- 9/22 Three Lakes Lady Gators Volleyball 7/8 vs. Judson 5:00 & 6:00 PM @ TLMS
- 9/22 General PTA Meeting 5:30 PM
- 9/22 Open House 6:00 PM
- 9/22 TLMS Restaurant Spirit Night @ Gusano's
- 9/23 6th Grade Social 4:00-5:30 PM
- 9/26 Three Lakes Gators 7 A/B Football vs. Boulter 5:00 & 6:30 PM @ REL Main Field
- 9/26 Box Tops Contest begins
- 9/27 Three Lakes Gators 8 A/B vs. Boulter 5:00 & 6:30 PM @ John Tyler HS
- 9/28 Picture Day-Students can dress nicely, yet they must follow Dress Code Guidelines for appropriateness. They do not have to change after pictures.
- 9/29 Three Lakes Lady Gators Volleyball 7/8 vs. Hubbard 5:00 & 6:00 PM @ TLMS
Our attendance for the week is as follows:
Grade 6: 97.78%
Grade 7: 98.02%
Grade 8: 97.35%