Edgewood's Tiger Talk
March 2, 2017
Many of our classes got new furniture this week. We continue to update the furniture in our classrooms, providing more flexible, collaborative seating.
| || |
At the end of March, students in grades 3-5 will begin state testing with the Wisconsin Forward Exam. Students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th take Reading, Writing, and Math exams. Students in 4th grade also take science and social studies tests. These exams provide one piece of data about your child's learning, and they also give our school information about what we're doing well, and where we can improve. The more accurate our information is, the more we can do to continue to provide the best education possible for our students. Below are the testing weeks. Testing will occur in the morning, and each day, the testing session will be somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour and a half (depending on how quickly students finish).
5th grade: March 20th-24th
3rd grade: March 27th-31st
4th grade: April 3rd-7th, and April 11th & 12th
During the window, you can help your child by
- Avoiding scheduling doctors appointments during testing periods
- Being on time (as close to 8:30 as possible)
- Getting a good night's rest
- Eating a good, protein-filled breakfast
More information about the tests will be coming home in Thursday folders in the next couple weeks. As always, if you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Pawsitively Edgewood--Character Education
Exciting news! As a part of being named a State School of Character, we will have a film crew in to create a short video about character education at our school. This will be a wonderful tool for us to share with you and with other schools about how we go about building character on an every day basis. And, I think the kids will feel very important! The filming will take place on March 17th; we'll want everyone to wear their Gray shirts or other Edgewood Spirit Wear.
This month we continue to work on flexible thinking. How can we recognize when we're stuck, and consider the various options that are in front of us? This skill helps us socially, and it also enables us to persevere in our academic work.
PE Update from Mr. Warnecke
As you've seen, the Rollerskating Unit will be coming up in April. This was a student favorite last year. A few things to remember:
- Please contact me or Mrs. Boyd if you need assistance with the fee.
- Volunteers are needed to help our K-2 student skate in the afternoon. If you have time--even just one afternoon, it'd be greatly appreciated.
- Students must wear helmets to skate. Children are welcome to bring a helmet from home; otherwise, helmets are included with the rental. They are disinfected daily.
Art Update from Mrs. Nolan
Watch for your Art To Remember Order Form coming home mid-March. ORDERS ARE DUE MARCH 22nd.
* Parent Volunteers needed in April to assist with the incoming orders. Please contact Ms. Nolan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any help is appreciated!
Celebrate Youth Art Month!
We are always proud of the visual arts being created by our budding artists here at EW.
Here are some ideas to support your child's creativity:
* Hang your child's art at home. Select some that is special to him/her, frame and display.
* Take a photo of your child with his/her art. Create a keepsake of art throughout the years.
* Check out the Milwaukee Art Museum. Stop in to see student art work on display or take in a special program offered to families. The Sunday programs are great!
* Give a gift of art supplies. Provide nice art supplies for your child to use for creating. Make it special by setting up a station, or corner with supplies ready to go.
* Make some art together! Kids love to connect in this way.
* Show your child you value art education by making connections to future careers and jobs that require visual art, creativity, problem solving, design, imagination, team work and innovation. (21st century skills!) www.studentartguide.com lists over 150 careers require art!
* Order a keepsake with your child's art on it from our Art To Remember fundraiser this month.
Music Update from Mrs. McClanahan
- K5 and 1st are singing through a book about snowmen (if we can't build one we might as well use our imaginations)
- 2nd and 3rd are working on the concept of direction in music
- 4th has started keyboarding (the piano kind)--reading music takes a lot of brain power!
- 5th are working on recorders (they've been excited about these at school!).
St. Patty's Day Dance
- Donate to your grade level's raffle basket (Just send in an item that goes with the theme, and it will be compiled into an awesome basket that will be on a raffle table. It's so fun!). K4--Baking, K5--Movie Night, 1st--Arts & Crafts, 2nd--Chocolate, 3rd--Sports, 4th--Outdoor Fun, 5th--Family Fun Night
- Take an hour shift at the dance. Many volunteers are needed to ensure that the event runs smoothly. Haven't volunteered before? Now is the time! We'll fill you in on the ropes =). https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0D44ADAF2BA1F49-stpatties1
Save your Pop Tabs for the Ronald McDonald House
In addition to saving Boxtops, Edgewood School collects Poptabs to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House here in Milwaukee. A school-wide contest is going on now through March 31. Tell your neighbors and relatives to save up—it’s for a very worthwhile cause. Check out this video for an amazing resource in our community available to families during challenging times. http://rmhcmilwaukee.org/about/house-tour-video/
Earn money for our EHSA when you shop on Amazon!
3/3--March's Coffee with the Principal
3/4--BEE Ready @ Elmdale (early childhood screening for kids ages 3 or 4 by March 1st and not already in 4K or Early Childhood).
3/14--EHSA Meeting, 6-7pm in the Library
3/14-3/22--Bookfair (during school hours, and open @ conferences and the dance)
3/16--Early Release Grades K5-5th grade for parent teacher conferences (1:26 dismissal)
3/16--K4 Students Only--No School (Conferences)
3/17--WEAR GRAY SHIRTS for assembly and filming!
3/17--St. Patty's Day Dance, 6-8pm
3/29--K4/K5 Open House at the Greenfield Community Center, 4:30-6:30pm
4/13--Save the Date--Grandparents Day!