The Bulldog Bark
Poor school attendance is a strong predictor of school dropout. Children can’t learn if they aren’t present in school, so attendance is a must. Parents are best positioned to ensure children attend school and to build the expectation around attendance.
Why Should We Focus on Attendance?
Children can’t learn if they aren’t present in school, so attendance is a must. By 6th grade, missing 20% (or two months of school) is a critical warning sign of school drop-out. By 9th grade, missing 20% of school can be a better predictor of drop-out than 8th grade test scores.
We can influence attendance and poor attendance can be prevented. Parents are best positioned to ensure children attend school and to build the expectation around attendance.
What Schools Can Do?
- Educate families about the adverse impact of poor attendance on school achievement.
- Inform parents about the positive incentives students receive for good attendance; consider recognizing parents as well for their role in their child’s attendance.
- Notify parents that their child’s absence was noticed either through a call home or, if feasible, an email.
- Reach out to families to find out what is happening if children begin to miss school regularly. Where appropriate, refer families to available resources in the community.
What Community Agencies Can Do?
- Teach parents about the importance of regular attendance starting in kindergarten.
- Help parents of older students understand that excessive absence is a critical warning sign for dropping out.
- Partner with schools to provide social work and case management supports to families of children with extended absences.
- Address barriers to attendance by offering services (economic supports, social services, etc.) at schools and referring families to other available resources in the community.
What Parents Can Do?
- Help your child get into the habit and learn the value of regular routines.
- Teach your child that attending school is nonnegotiable unless they are truly sick
- Build relationships with other families and discuss how you can help each other out (e.g., drop off or pick up children, babysit, translation assistance) in times of need or emergencies.
- Identify non-academic activities (drama, art, music, etc.) that can help motivate your child’s interest in school and learning and seek out schools that can offer those experiences.
SPRING BREAK is April 1-5
Come Be A Part of the Band
Tuesday March 12, SMS will be hosting a time for you to try out any instruments your students may be interested in from 3:30-8:00. Come be apart of the Band and try out all the different instruments for what fits you the best.
Congrats to our January Students of the Month
SMS Dance Team is State Champs for the THIRD Time
"We Hang Banners"
Special thanks to Coach Carrie Bolin and Coach Jill Goldsberry in their effort to perfecting each routine the girls put on the floor!
The banner will hang in the gym as a reminder just how these girls continue to chase EXCELLENCE in all that they do!
100% of AR with 82% Accuracy is Due March 12 Free Dress Day for those students will be March 14
March 14 is the end of Quarter 3 and Report Cards go Home on March 22
Track and Field Tryouts
SOUTH MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS & GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD TRYOUTS
When: March 11th, 12th, and 13th from 3:45 pm-5 pm @ SMS gymnasium
Who: SMS Boys and Girls in grades 6, 7, and 8 AND 5th grade students from A.B. Chandler, Bend Gate, Jefferson, and Niagara
What: Bring heart/effort/positive attitude, gym clothes, and athletic shoes
TOP 5 REASONS TO JOIN SMS T&F:
1. Build athleticism! - We build speed, strength, endurance, coordination, and flexibility for other sports/activities!
2. Be a winner! - Help defend our 2017 and 2018 Boys & Girls City Championship Titles!
3. Awesome gear! - Backpack and multiple jerseys to keep at end of season!
4. No bench! - Every student-athlete is valued and contributes to OUR success!
5. Opportunity! - We BUILD GREATNESS... TEAM, PERSON, STUDENT, ATHLETE!
Last year our Boys and Girls teams were CITY CHAMPIONS! Come join in on the fun! You won't want to miss out!
Show your SOUTH Pride
Car Decals Reduced Price
9th Grade KPREP Celebration: April 8
8th Grade KPREP Celebration: April 15
7th Grade KPREP Celebration: April 22
We also have Spring Into South is coming up! Mark your calendars for this event on Tuesday April 23.