in-person & livestreamed via YouTube
The bOARDBuzz is put together following District 25 School Board Meetings and serves as a recap of what occurred. For the full agenda, please click here.
This meeting was recorded and that recording can be viewed here: www.sd25.org/0121FullMeeeting.
As always, the bOARDBuzz is archived at www.sd25.org/BoardBuzz.
Presented by Jason Coyle from Baker Tilly, LLC
This is presented annually and is a required financial audit for the year ending June 30, 2020.
- The District remains in the highest category of "recognition" of the State's financial profile.
- To watch the presentation and discussion, click here.
PRESENTATION OF CLIMATE AND CULTURE 2020-2021
Presented by Svetlana Popovic from HumanEx
RECOGNITIONS AND WELCOMES
Several people addressed the Board during the public comments portion of the meeting. Those public comments begin at the 26:34 mark of the meeting and can be viewed by clicking here.
Public comments were also submitted via an online Google form prior to the meeting. All comments received prior to 12 pm (noon) on Thursday, January 21, 2021 were categorized, and read aloud at the meeting. The reading of those comments begin at the 40:42 mark of the meeting and can be viewed by clicking here.
Any public comments submitted prior to the start of the meeting at 7:30 pm on Thursday, January 21, 2021, are available in full and can be read by visiting www.sd25.org/0121Comments.
Categorized summary of public comments submitted electronically:
- Do not change the metrics for Step 4. (3)
- Delete the use of metrics for Step 4. (6)
- Move into five full days of in-person learning. (9)
- A 12-year-old youth was banned from District 25 property four years ago. He should be allowed back on property. (1)
- Please remember to care for our remote learners. (3)
- What percentage of students are now in-person versus remote? (1)
- A “Parents Have a Right to Know” group is pushing for more notification/information of COVID-19 cases. This should not be entertained due to privacy. (1)
- Eliminate homeroom in the middle schools as this would reduce a period of movement. (1)
- Thank you, Board of Education, for working to put kids back into school. (5)
- We should not be returning to in-person learning with a more contagious strain and fluctuating metrics. (1)
- Children are not safely distanced at school while the Board is distanced at meetings. (1)
- Please open bussing to paid riders. (1)
- I am concerned about our teachers' safety. Please make sure they have six foot distancing and N95 masks. (1)
- Suicide and mental health is not a joking matter and shouldn’t be treated as such. (1)
- A submitted letter signed by 67 people thanking the Board for their work to get kids into school. (1)
- Open the 2021-2022 school year with five day in-person instruction. (1)
- The abrupt move for in-person learning is not safe. Hybrid allowed for in-person learning with appropriate distancing. (1)
- Include all the supporting auditor documentation on Board Docs. (1)
- Allow remote students back before Spring Break on a case-by-case basis as more vaccines are available for the family members they may be caring for. (1)
The potential motion listed below was dependent on Dr. Bein's presentation and any discussion the Board had after the presentation. A PDF of Dr. Bein's presentation can be seen by clicking here, and to watch Dr. Bein's presentation, click here.
Superintendent, Dr. Lori Bein, updated the Board on the Transitional Model of Reopening. The following topics were covered in this presentation:
- Step 4 Selection Data
- Step 4 Transitional Metrics
- COVID-19 Vaccines
- Federal Relief Funding
Please note that the Board chose not to move on the motion that was on the agenda. The details of the decision can be found below:
POTENTIAL MOTION: NOT MOVED
That the Board of Education eliminate the use of Step 4 metrics (www.sd25.org/TransitionMetrics) and direct the Superintendent to begin Step 4 on _________.
The District officially transitioned to Step 4 on the morning of this meeting, therefore the Board members decided that there was no need to vote the motion listed above.
The beginning of the discussion on this topic can be viewed by, clicking here.
personnel & planning
That the Board of Education approve the 2021-2022 School Calendar as presented.
The District 25 calendar committee met on multiple occasions to create the proposed 2021-2022 school calendar. The committee was comprised of parents, school staff, and administrators.
The calendar committee had a goal of aligning with the D214 calendar as much as possible.
Click here to view the newly adopted calendar for the 2021-2022 school year.
INFORMATIONAL ITEM: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Update
During the 2019-2020 school year, the District formed a Diversity Advisory Committee made up of parents, community members, and administrators. The group began discussions, sharing areas that they felt could be improved involving diversity, equity, and inclusion in District 25. At the same time, book study groups were formed throughout the District 25 staff with content focusing around issues of systemic racism, white privilege, and teaching strategies to support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At the start of the 2020-2021 school year, the Board of Education approved the Resolution affirming the Arlington Heights School District 25 Board of Education’s Commitment to Eliminate Racial Injustice and approved Policy 1:32, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Now the District begins more structured, focused work on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Working with the Illinois Commission on Diversity and Human Relations, we will begin with professional development for our administration, and then move to professional development for all staff. Additionally, we will host discussion opportunities for employees and for our community.
Additional work will include an audit of our curriculum and instruction methods as well as consultant support for how we market job openings and how we can better attract a diverse candidate pool.
Discussion and comments by District 25's Board of Education can be viewed by clicking here.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
School Board Meeting | UPDATED Feb 10
Thursday, Feb. 25th, 7:30pm
1200 South Dunton Avenue
Arlington Heights, IL
This meeting will be held at the Dunton Administration Building and will be livestreamed via YouTube. That link will be posted on the Board Agenda page (www.sd25.org/BoardAgenda) the week of the meeting.
This meeting will allow audience members in the room. We will have one overflow room available as well, where the meeting will be livestreamed.
Visit www.sd25.org/BoardAgenda closer to the day of the meeting for the most accurate details of how the meeting will be held.
Anyone who has a public comment and is not going to attend the meeting in-person is welcome to submit their comment using the following NEW process by filling out the public comments Google Form.
Please note that not every item at the meeting will be detailed on the Board Buzz. This is intended to hit the topics of high interest to the community. For the full agenda for each meeting, visit www.sd25.org/BoardAgenda.