Bushy Bear Tales
Volume 8- January 5, 2018
From Mrs. Ketterer:
We have some exciting events coming up in January! A combined Chorus/Strings Concert will be a highlight next Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. at Glenelg High School! Our PTA Meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, January 16th and PTA Movie Night is Friday, January 19th. Scooter City returns in PE classes the week of January 16th. Finally, we celebrate International Night on Thursday, January 25th.
It may be winter, but we will keep things moving! Thank you for your continued support and involvement!
- 9 Chorus & 4th-5th Strings Concert @ GHS 7:00 p.m.
- 15 SCHOOL CLOSED: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 16 PTA Meeting (Rescheduled) / Scooter City begins in PE classes
- 18 Leo Club Meeting @ 8:30 a.m. / Hearing & Vision Screening
- 18 Glenwood MS 6th Parent Orientation @ 6:30 p.m.
- 19 PTA Bingo Night @ 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Cafetorium
- 24 Folly Quarter MS 6th Parent Orientation @ 6:30 p.m.
- 25 International Night @ 6:00-8:00 p.m. throughout the school
- 26 SPIRIT DAY- Jersey Day / Early Dismissal at 12:45 p.m. for End of 2nd Quarter
- 8 Leo Club Meeting @ 8:30 a.m.
- 9 Daddy & Daughter Dance @ 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the Cafetorium
- 13 JA Day Training @ 6:00 p.m. in the Media / PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. in the Media
- 14 Valentine Celebrations
- 16 SCHOOL CLOSED: HCPSS Countywide Professional Day
- 19 SCHOOL CLOSED: Presidents' Day (may be used as an Inclement Weather Day)
- 22 JA DAY (Junior Achievement Day)
Information for Closing Schools for Inclement Weather
To learn about the decision process for closing schools, please view the Vimeo video below.
You can also visit the section of the HCPSS website listing the many ways you can be informed of weather-related school closings. Bushy Park ES will not send any additional email out because that communication comes directly from the HCPSS Communications Office. We will re-Tweet closing or delay information on Twitter.
Unscheduled Emergency Early School Closing
In the event that schools need to close early due to an unexpected weather event, please be sure to share with your child how he/she will go home if it is different than their normal dismissal routine.
All parents were asked to indicate how children are to go home in the event of an emergency/unscheduled closing when they completed their Family File information in August or September.
The valuable information you provided on your Family File forms helped us to respond to and support students for early closing! I am proud to say that we have 99% of our Family File information completed!
Please review your form to re-familiarize yourself with the transportation choice you made for your child for an emergency closing. Remember you can always make changes, we will review them each time we need to. Chances are another one will come along during this winter!
Bear Hug Winners - December 22nd
- Kindergarten - Ryan Lease, Ashley Nolan
- 1st Grade - Kendal Jabers, Jordyn Miller
- 2nd Grade - Noelle Collins, Grayson Lee
- 3rd Grade - Anthony Mohammed, Sam Wilmeth
- 4th Grade - Brody Hayden, Alyssa Vass
- 5th Grade - Javier Bryant-Sanchez, Claire Williams
Bushy Park Young Authors’ Contest Winners:
Poem: Ty Bammel
Short Story: Kara Liang
Poem: Aayah Mohsini
Short Story: Aubrey Barrick
Poem: Henna Hassanein
Short Story: Katie Dietz
Poem: Tommy Hwang
Short Story: Timmy Hwang
Bushy Park Young Authors’ Contest Participants:
Message for Parents of our Future 6th Graders
Recently you received a letter from your child’s future administrator welcoming them and you to middle school next year! The communication you received included:
· A Welcome Letter with details and explanation.
· A handout sharing the Middle School Schedule in Detail.
· A Music Performance Enrollment Form for Rising 6th Grade Students
As part of the transition process, the middle schools are hosting a 6th Grade Parent Orientation Night. Each school will hold a collaborative information session. You will have an opportunity to learn about the middle school program and ask questions.
The dates for each school are:
· Glenwood Middle School Thursday, January 18th @ 6:30 p.m.
· Folly Quarter Middle School Wednesday, January 24th @ 6:30 p.m.
Prior to the Parent Orientation Nights, you are asked to please return the Music Performance Enrollment Form to your child’s homeroom teacher. These forms need to be returned no later than Friday, January 19th.
· Even if your child will be opting out of any music performance class options, we need you to return the form indicating that.
Road to Kindergarten Workshops
Howard County Public School System will be hosting a workshop for families of children beginning Kindergarten this fall. Road to Kindergarten workshops will be offered on three dates:
- Wednesday, January 24 (at Oakland Mills High School)
- Thursday, January 25 (at Centennial High School)
- Monday, January 29 (at Hammond High School)
Workshops begin promptly at 6:30 pm. More information is available at http://www.hcpss.org/news-posts/2017/12/road-to-kindergarten-workshops-january-24-29-2018/
Kindergarten registration will begin March 5. More information to follow. For the link to the screenshot shown below, please visit http://www.hcpss.org/enroll/kindergarten/
WEATHER GUIDELINES FOR OUTDOOR RECESS
Exercise outdoors is healthy and is strongly encouraged. It provides a break from the regular school routine, a chance to get some outside air, and an opportunity to run off excess energy.
If conditions preclude the full recess time, even a five-minute break can revitalize children and prepare them for more sitting and academic learning. Children are expected to wear warm clothing to protect them during cold weather when participating in recess or outside activities.
The decision to go out or stay in for recess is the decision of the Administrator at individual schools. However, the following are to be considered in determining if recess is to be held outside:
- Temperature and Windchill
- Age of students
- Length of time outdoors
- Adequacy of the children’s clothing
- Condition of the playground
- Falling precipitation (more than a sprinkle or mist)
Generally, it is assumed that students will be outside for recess when the temperature combined with the wind chill is not less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Children with certain health conditions may need special accommodations during extremely cold weather. Parents of those children should provide medical documentation and may be consulted to determine if other arrangements are necessary.
Parent Volunteers Needed
The Carson Reading Room sign up is now available for December and January. We encourage you to sign up for consecutive times with different grade levels. Thank you for your support!
NEW FAMILY RESOURCE
ReadyRosie is an early education tool developed to support families with children from birth through 3rd grade. Parents can sign up online and choose to receive short, informative videos that can help them encourage their children to learn. These videos can be accessed in English or Spanish and can be sent to a cell phone or email. To sign up use this link https://www.readyrosie.com/families/#sign-up-today
Once logged in, you can access information according to the child's age and the location where you will be doing an activity, such as the grocery store, restaurant, etc. This resource was launched a few months ago. Check it out!
Click on the BLUE BAR to access our new Highlight Page on our BPES website
Our website has a new Highlight Section on Curriculum Support for Parents. This section offers QR codes and links to the Parent Pages on CANVAS. There are also brochures to offer examples of Computational Fluency and information on the Standards for Mathematical Practices.
Standards for Mathematical Practices- page 1
The 8 Standards for Mathematical Practice describe the behaviors of mathematically proficient students.
Standards for Mathematical Practices- page 2
The practices rest on “processes and proficiencies” of longstanding importance in mathematics education.