Decatur Weekly Newsletter
February 19, 2021
Athletes on the Field!
This week was exciting! We were able to welcome back our scholar athletes for pod workouts. It really was so great to see our scholars again. Almost all of our coaches were able to make it out to the field to welcome back our athletes. Special thanks to our Athletic Director Terry Jenks and to all of our coaches for working together to build a safe program for our scholars.
To participate in pod workouts, scholars must complete registration in Rank One by noon on day of training session.
To participate in sports, scholars MUST:
- Complete Athletic Registration with Rank One Sports (three forms) Please complete ASAP; mobile device not recommended for registration. https://www.rankonesport.com
- Select Strength and Conditioning (C) and ALL other sports your scholar intends to participate during this school year
- Submit Physical Exam (completed within 24 months and valid through the season of participation)
- Pay for ASB Card through ParentVue payment portal ($35.00) - contact Mr. Jenks if this is a concern.
Please understand that adherence to all safety protocols is non-negotiable.
If you would like more information about athletics, please don't hesitate to contact Mr. Jenks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful weekend and remember the words of a former Gator, Dom Cooks-
"It is, and always is, a great day to be a Gator! Yitadee!!!"
February is Black History Month
Thank you to our members of GUARD for stepping up and leading this work! We are looking forward to a stronger partnership and leading together to become an antiracist school.
If you are interested in hearing more about the anti-racist work including an overview of staff professional development, please come to our Family Webinars to hear those updates. There will be another Family Webinar in a couple of weeks. Look for the announcement to go out the week before and the link to be shared the day of.
Registration Process Begins Underway in SEL/CCR
Please keep in mind that if you have not passed all of your courses in previous semesters, your schedule options will be more limited.
High School and Beyond Plan Due for Seniors February 26th
Senior Gators! If you need help with any components of your High School and Beyond Plan, financial aid, applications and scholarships then please join us on Wednesday’s for the Virtual Career Center from 11:30 Am-2:00 PM. Here’s the link-https://fwps.zoom.us/j/91683916372.
Last School To You Delivery Next Monday
Drive through pick-ups will continue at the school every other Wednesday. Please keep checking the Weekly Newsletter for drive-thru announcements!
Local Rotary Scholarship Opportunity for Seniors
The Rotary Club of Federal Way Scholarship applications are due no later than March 5, 2021 at 11:59pm PT. The application window will close at that time.
The Rotary Club of Federal Way awards scholarships based on four (4) criteria: 1) financial need, 2) academic performance, 3) community service and 4) leadership.
If you are interested in applying for the scholarship, more information and the application can be found at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeCQhN67XpvFY21gy5nw0IH4kJcLya-2OAs7jlC0k2QzRYQug/viewform
Secondary Hybrid Information
Thank you to all the families in our FCP Program that attended the FCP Family Zoom session last night! We will have a link very soon to where you can view it if you missed the session!
As we near our transition to deliver BOTH the hybrid model and fully remote model of instruction, we have been working hard to prepare classrooms to be safe and ready for your child(ren). Hopefully you have had a chance to review the FWPS Hybrid Family Guide! It is available at https://www.fwps.org/Page/8030 and provides many details of our plan.
Deadline for confirming Hybrid or 100% Remote Model is today: February 19th
As a reminder, the deadline for families in the FCP program for confirming your selection OR changing your selection is TODAY....Friday, February 19th. While we will make every effort to keep teachers and students together, recognizing we must adhere to social distancing guidelines and respond to parents’ choice of the model and staff accommodation requests, we must rebalance classrooms. This means your child’s teacher may change. We recognize changes are not ideal, and we’re doing what we can to maintain continuity as much as possible and school staff will be supporting the transition.
Return to Campus Reminder: Complete Daily REQUIRED Health Screening (attestation) Before Sending Your Child to School
- One of the most important things to remember is that you will need to complete on online health screening every day before you send your child to school.
- This is one of the important ways we are partnering with families to ensure our campus is safe and healthy. It will ask you a few questions and to verify your child is fever free. Please visit www.fwps.org/healthscreening for more information.
Important Health and Safety Measures
Here is a preview of some of the safety measures we are taking:
- Daily health screening attestation and temperature checks that must be completed every day for all staff and scholars before they enter the school building
- Masks will be required for all school staff and students; if a scholar does not comply and wear their mask, parent/guardian will be called to pick them up
- Scholars will arrive on a staggered schedule to promote social distancing: what this means is that scholars arriving by bus or by car will remain in their vehicles until waved in by a staff member.
- Social Distancing will be practiced in all areas and there will be regular handwashing throughout the day
- Visitors will not be allowed on campus in order to minimize the number of people on campus
If you have an I contract (an incomplete grade contract), please make sure that the work is completed and submitted to your teacher so your grade can be updated.
Free Academic Support Available at Gatoraid
Gatoraid is from 1:00-2:00 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and then 8:00 AM-12:00 PM on Wednesdays. All Gators are welcome!
Here is the zoom link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/97301154983
Decatur Family Webinar
Tuesday, Feb. 23rd, 5:30pm
This is an online event.
See you there!
School Buildings Closed to the Public
Thank you for your understanding.