1st Grade News: April 11-15
April 11th- Boosterthon Kick-Off 1:50pm
April 13th- National Library Media Specialist (LMS) Day
April 15th- MAV DAD Lunch
April 22nd- Boosterthon Color Run (K & 1st) 9:15am
April 27th- Progress Reports Go Home
April 29th- MAV FAN JAM
May 9th & 10th- STAAR TESTING- ***NO VISITORS or VOLUNTEERS***
Friday will be our money quiz. Please help them with the following during the week:
*Practice counting pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters and making change
*Practice counting by 5's, 10's, & 25's
* Give your child a number & ask them to build different ways to make that amount using quarters, dimes, nickels, & pennies (Example: 64 cents & have them use different coins to make the amount)
***Please, please make sure your child is reading every night!***
1. Read nightly and record books in homework journal. Be sure you are reading book baggie books several times to practice fluency.
2. 1 reading response a week needs to be completed in the homework journal. **Responses can be completed using ANY book, not just from the book baggie.
Reading responses should be completed using complete sentences with correct capitalization and punctuation.**
3. Practice reading and spelling list in book baggies
4. Xtramath.org at least twice a week to practice fact fluency.
5. iStation 30 minutes a week
6. Return book baggie with books and journal to school everyday.
What are we learning?
I can identify & explain elements of a Fairy Tale by talking to my partner about Fairy Tales.
I can complete my armadillo story and explain the writing process to my partner.
The Writing Process
· 1. Brainstorm- Plan
· 2. Draft- B-Introduction, M-Details, & E-Conclusion
· 3. Revise
· 4. Edit
· 5. Publish
Word Work & Grammar:
I can read and write singular words and change them to plural by writing them on my white board.
I can identify U.S. coins, including pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, by value and describe the relationships among them. I can use relationships to count by twos, fives, and tens to determine the value of a collection of pennies, nickels, and/or dimes. I can distinguish between spending and saving and define money earned as income by writing about needs and wants in my math journal.
Science / Social Studies:
I can Internalize facts about the meaning of Texas and Texas Pledge by using key vocabulary to write sentences about these facts.
I can share Texas symbols using a power point presentation or any other form of media to present my knowledge with my classmates.