AP English Lang and Comp B
January 18, 2015
Grade Updates and Checking Feedback
A Note about Academic Writing
What Is Academic Writing?
Features of Academic Writing
Shmoop: A Great Way to Practice Skills and Earn Extra Points
We will soon begin completing assignments in Shmoop, a tutorial and study aid website to which every GaVS student gains access through our school subscription. For now, please create an account if you do not already have one. Then make sure to use the GaVS magic word and the appropriate classroom code to join my classroom.
1. Go here: http://www.shmoop.com/signup/georgia-virtual
2. Create a free Shmoop account or log in if you already have one. Use your GaVS email to automatically gain access to our school subscription services.
3. Enter this Magic Word on the sign-up page: LANIER
4. Join our class using the following code: f44ee
5. Take the diagnostic, read the material, work through exercises, etc. The more you do, the more Shmoints you earn! These will later translate (though not directly) into extra points!
Upcoming Synchronous Sessions and Office Hours
Monday, January 25, 6:30 p.m.: Recognizing and Avoiding Plagiarism with Mr. Williams
Monday, February 1, 6:30 p.m.: AP Rhetorical Analysis Essay with Mrs. Genetti
Also, there will be a welcome session for 16-Week students on Wednesday, January 20, at 5:00 p.m. I am available in my virtual office on Wednesdays from 4:00-5:00 p.m. if you want to drop by with questions.
Watch for Extra Learning Opportunities
D2L Help Sessions
Georgia Virtual School will have Brightspace Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
Tuesday, Jan. 19 @ 7pm
Thursday, Jan. 28 @ 11am
Tuesday, Feb. 2 @ 7pm
Tuesday, Feb. 16 @ 7pm
If you have not already done so, I highly recommend that you attend one of these sessions if you are new to our online courses; you will earn a certificate worth extra credit and learn where to find everything within the course. Past students have said these sessions helped them acclimate to the online environment.
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each Brightspace Help Session: