Communication Development Program
October 14, 2016
Upcoming Events and Reminders
- Wednesday October 19 (5 to 8), Thursday October 20 (12 to 8 with a teacher dinner break from 4 to 5) and Friday October 21 (8 - 11): Student Led Conferences. Your child is the rockstar in this meeting, so please remember to bring them along WITH their Chromebook. Our room will be open during all conference times other than our dinner break, so please come at your convenience. SPECIAL NOTE: On Wednesday from 7:00 - 8:00 the team has a meeting scheduled. The classroom will be open for you and your child; however, staff will not be available during this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Wednesday, October 19: Early Release Day (1:00)
- Students will be coming home with a permission slip to see Life Of Pi during read aloud to support our Island Trilogy. Please sign and have them return on Monday.
This Week Happenings
Language Arts/Social Studies
- Our 6th and 8th grade students finished reading the Island trilogy this week with our 7th graders almost complete. There was some great discussion on the theme's of survival and teamwork during our reading.
- Students finished the World War 1 unit with a writing assignment about all they have learned. Ask about their "green screen" pictures.
- Students completed an assessment to show how well they were able to take a reading passage and find evidence within the text. This is a skill we have been working on during reading groups.
- Same sign Add and Keep
- Different Sign Subtract
- Keep the Sign of the Larger Number
- Then You'll Be Exact
Students also took notes in their journal for both adding and subtracting. They all realized that when we subtract all we have to do is change the addition to a subtraction and then change the sign of the next number. We are continuing to look at ways we use negative and positive integers in the real world.