FAC Weekly Update
April 28, 2023
Good Afternoon, FAC Family
We hope that you had a terrific week!
Our Recital Hall and Black Box Theatre have been busy! This week the Theatre classes, Winds Chamber Music studio, and Strings Chamber Music studio held performances. In the middle of it all was the final performance of the Jazz All-Stars concert series at Genevieve's. Heartfelt congrats to all of our student performers who have shown exceptional growth from the start of the school year until now. We are extremely proud of you!
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Make Small Improvements Every Day
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity. This is one reason why meaningful change does not require radical change. Small habits can make a meaningful difference by providing evidence of a new identity. And if a change is meaningful, it is actually big. That's the paradox of making small improvements.”
- James Clear - Atomic Habits
Notable Dates for the End of the School Year
Please note the following dates for your calendar:
- Last day for Seniors at the FAC - Tuesday, May 23
- Last day for all other FAC students - Friday, May 26
Fine Arts Center at ARTISPHERE
The Fine Arts Center will once again be well-represented at Artisphere, which takes place in Downtown Greenville on Main Street from May 12-14. For more information, go to https://artisphere.org/.
VISUAL ARTS and ARCHITECTURE will have a tent located at the south end of the festival at Main Street and Wardlaw. Student and Faculty work will be on display. https://artisphere.org/exhibit/fine-arts-center-student-teacher-exhibition/.
FAC THEATRE will perform from 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. on Friday the 12th on the Local Performing Artists Showcase - Falls Park Stage.
FAC STRINGS CHAMBER MUSIC will perform from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on Saturday the 13th on the Local Performing Artists Showcase - Falls Park Stage.
FAC JAZZ has the following performances:
- Friday, May 12 at 3:00 p.m. - Artists on the Rise Stage (Main and Wardlaw)
- Saturday, May 13 at 7:00 p.m. - Local Performing Artists Showcase - Falls Park Stage.
FAC student musicians are leading their own ensembles at the Artists on the Rise Stage:
- The Carson Moore Quartet performs on Friday, May 12 at 7:00 p.m.
- The S&W Project performs on Sunday, May 14 at 3:00 p.m.
FAC Percussion Ensemble Concert
Staff Appreciation Week
Staff Appreciation Week is May 8-12. The FAC Parent Guild is asking for donations to fund a week of expressing thanks to the FAC Faculty and Staff. To donate, you can Venmo our Parent Guild Account at “@FACParentGuild” – or scan the link below. If you chose to donate this way, PLEASE indicate in the Venmo that it is for “Staff Appreciation.” You can also send a check to the front office made out to FAC Parent Guild with “Staff Appreciation Week” in the memo.
If you’re interested in donating a dessert, we are wrapping up Staff Appreciation Week with “Dessert Day” – we have a sign up at FAC Volunteers: FAC Staff Appreciation Week - Dessert Day (signupgenius.com) to sign up to send a sweet treat in!
Contact Kathy Hennessy - FAC Parent Guild Treasurer - Kathy.email@example.com or 864-346-0911
Volunteers Needed for May Events
Thank you to those who stepped up to volunteer at our April events. We close our the school year with performances throughout May. Please donate your time - an hour (or less!) by signing up to take tickets or sell FAC merch at one of the events. Volunteer shifts are not limited to parents of that evening's performers! Sign up for volunteer shifts at the following link -https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090949A9AB23A7F85-facmay
If you have any questions about volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
REMINDERS FOR FAC SENIORS
If you missed the Senior Meeting last Friday, 4/21, please stop by the office and speak with Mr. Popat or Ms. Poole.
FAC Class of 2023 Website
The Fine Arts Center has assembled a website for our Senior Class with all of the information they need to complete their FAC career. Please bookmark the following site - https://sites.google.com/greenvilleschools.us/fac-class-of-2023/home. There is a to-do list at the top of the website with due dates. We appreciate our students completing these tasks early or on time!
Roy S. Fluhrer Scholarship - Due May 5
Dr. Roy S. Fluhrer served as the Director of Greenville County School District’s Fine Arts Center from 1989 to 2017. Upon his retirement, a scholarship in his name was established and will be awarded to a graduating Senior on an annual basis. This needs-based scholarship will be awarded to a student who demonstrate artistic excellence along with the intent to study the arts at the collegiate/university/conservatory level.
Interested students apply via this Google Form - https://forms.gle/JKzR1fyesh9Rj7fD7 - by Friday, May 5, 2023. A committee will review all applications and the winner will be announced at the Fine Arts Center Commencement on Wednesday, May 24, 2023.
All applications should include two letters of recommendation - one from a teacher and one from a community member who is familiar with your artistic growth and drive for excellence. Please either email or submit a hard copy of the letters to Mr. Popat by the May 5 deadline.
FAC Students Performing in the Community
Greenville County Youth Orchestras
The Greenville County Youth Orchestras have two exciting concerts coming up:
- May 2: Peace Center at 7:00 pm. All Orchestras performing. Tickets - https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/gcyo-spring-23.
- May 6: Peace Center, Gunter Theatre at 7:30 pm. Winners of the GCYO Concerto Competition performing with the Young Artist Orchestra and Philharmonic. Tickets - https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/gcyo-phil-22.
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
- Tuesday, May 2 - Percussion Ensemble Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Wednesday and Thursday, May 3 and 4 - Theatre Student Performance Lab; 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre; Tickets are $5
- Thursday, May 4 - Guest Artist Recital - Wesley Baldwin, cello; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall, FREE
- Friday, May 12 - AP Music Theory Exam
- Saturday, May 13 - FAC Dance - Senior Showcase; 12:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre
- Thursday, May 18 - FAC Visual Arts Senior Show Reception; 6:00 p.m., Sheffield Wood Gallery
- Saturday, May 20 - Anti-Prom; 6:00-9:00 p.m., FAC
- Monday, May 22 - Lucas White and Wilson Stokes Recital; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall, FREE
- Tuesday, May 23 - Music Club of Greenville Scholarship Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- Wednesday, May 24 - FAC Commencement; 7:00 p.m., Furman University McAlister Auditorium (Tickets Required)
- Friday, May 26 - FAC Film Showcase; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.
Location: 102 Pine Knoll Drive, Greenville, SC, USA
Phone: (864) 355-2550