Spring Lake Park High School
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
SEPTEMBER 27, 2023 - NEWSLETTER
Homecoming and spirit week activities are next week. Make sure to check out the Homecoming tailgate and parade before the football game at the high school next Friday, October 6, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Kick-off is at 7 p.m. at Panther Stadium.
Parents, feel free to dress up at work next week in solidarity with your student(s) according to the following spirit week themed days, developed by our student council:
- Monday: Pajama Day
- Tuesday: Jersey Day
- Wednesday: Barbie vs. Ken Day
- Thursday Grade-Level Spirit Competition to see who has the most spirit. Each grade dresses for a specific season (Seniors – Summer / Juniors – Fall / Sophomores – Spring / Freshman – Winter)
- Friday: Panther Spirit Day – Rock your Panther gear (or Red, White and Blue color)
There are other ways to join in the Homecoming school spirit including a fun opportunity to help us name the SLP Panther and by participating in the Panther Pride Sweepstakes. See more information in the newsletter.
Homecoming is a tradition that is meant to bring people together. This is always a fun week of community building, and I look forward to seeing our community come together and celebrate our shared goals and aspirations for student success and opportunities.
Thank you as always for your on-going partnership and support. Watch for information in next week’s newsletter about October parent teacher conference conversations. In the meantime, please reach out to teachers or staff with questions. We look forward to collaborating with you as we build bright futures.
One school, one community and always #SLPPantherProud!
SLPHS Showcase! A Children's Concert with the SLPHS Bands
Come and enjoy an evening of music geared for children and the young-at-heart at the SLPHS Showcase: A Children's Concert with SLPHS Bands on Monday, October 2 at Spring Lake Park High School. Starting at 6 p.m., there will be games and crafts in the lobby area. The concert will begin at 7 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center.
Families will enjoy a particularly special performance of a brand new piece of music called Monarch Migration, which paints a picture of the migration of monarch butterflies from Canada to Mexico, composed by Mexican composer Nubia Jaime Donjuan and based on the storybook by St. Paul author Ann Hobbie.
The concert is entirely free! The SLP High School Band Boosters will have a raffle and guests can purchase tickets for the raffle drawing which includes Gophers football tickets.
7-12 Update: Upcoming Assessments
We will be doing NWEA Measures of Academic Progress reading and math assessments in the upcoming days. We use these assessments as additional pieces of information to ensure we are providing students with the support they need.
Reminder: Sign student behavior and attendance expectations agreement
If you haven't done so already, please take a few minutes to complete your review of student behavior and attendance expectations with your student(s).
- Log in to Campus Parent Portal with your district username and password.
- Select your student in the upper right corner.
- On the main menu click on DOCUMENT.
- Locate the Parent Documents section.
- Click on the 2023-2024 Behavior and Attendance Agreement.
- Review the document with your student.
- Sign and submit.
- Repeat these steps if you have more than one student in the district.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our front office.
Lockdown drill - October 5
Next Thursday, October 5, we will conduct our second Lockdown drill with staff and students. If you do not want your student to participate in this lockdown drill, please notify our main office before Thursday morning.
SLPHS Homecoming Dance
The Spring Lake Park High School student council will host the 2023 Semi-Formal Homecoming Dance on October 7.
- When - Saturday, October 7
- Time - 7-10 p.m.
- Location - Spring Lake Park High School Cafeteria
- Who - Only Spring Lake Park High School students
- Cost - $5 in advance during lunch throughout Homecoming week. $10 at the door.
- Monday, October 2 - SLPHS Showcase Concert, 6 p.m. games and crafts and 7 p.m. showtime, Spring Lake Park High School Fine Arts Center
- October 2-6 - Homecoming Week
- Friday, October 6 - Homecoming Football Game, Panther Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, October 7 - Live on 65: 7,000 Miles to Broadway (Singer/Guitarist + Pianist + Bassist), Fine Arts Center, 7 p.m. Get your tickets online.
- Saturday, October 7 - Homecoming Semi-Formal, 7-10 p.m., Spring Lake Park High School Cafeteria
- Mondday, October 9 - Senior Class Panoramic - 10 a.m.
- Monday, October 9 - Free Vaccine Clinic event, Kenneth Hall in Spring Lake Park High School (door #33), 3:30-7 p.m. Sign up here.
- Monday, October 9 - SLPHS Concert Choir, 7 p.m., Spring Lake Park High School Fine Arts Center
- Tuesday, October 10 - Free Vaccine Clinic event, Kenneth Hall in Spring Lake Park High School (door #33), 3:30-7 p.m. Sign up here.
- Wednesday, October 11 - Caregiver Learning Event: Mental Health Awareness & Coping Skills, Westwood Intermediate and Middle School (The Den), 6-7 p.m. RSVP for this event.
- Thursday, October 12 - Spring Lake Park High School Academic Awards Ceremony, 7:30 a.m., Spring Lake Park High School Fine Arts Center
October is College Knowledge Month
Spring Lake Park High School is celebrating College Knowledge Month throughout October. With Minnesota colleges and universities, there are a number of special events happening throughout the month.
Check out the Calendar to see events happening at SLPHS in October. These events are open to all students in grades 9-12. This Event Calendar is LIVE and will be updated as new events are confirmed.
Transportation Careers Event
Spring Lake Park High School will host a Transportation Careers event next Tuesday, October 2 from 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Representatives from local industries who hire and train students will be at SLPHS on October 2 during the school day. The MN Transportation Center of Excellence trailer, which showcases all MN 2- and 4-year colleges, will also be here. Have your student get a pass from their teacher or see Mr. Van Brocklin in B138 if they have questions.
Finding joy at school
Arthur, an energetic kindergartener, spent quality time one morning reading a book with a friend on a comfy couch in his classroom. When asked his favorite part of being in Sr. Mateo’s classroom this year, he was quiet at first, seemingly deep in thought. Then he suddenly exclaimed very loudly “EVERYTHING!” His smile showed his happiness and pleasure – his joy.
Across Spring Lake Park Schools and across grade levels, among friends and seat mates, in the midst of assignments and instructions and collaboration and conversations, there have been sightings of joy. Joy has been spotted at recess, in the lunchroom, during morning meeting time, in hallway exchanges between students and staff and even during math class.
Read how students and staff are finding joy at school.
SLP alum gains apprenticeship opportunity through Pathways
Last fall, senior Owen Adwan was encouraged to attend an apprenticeship open house for Bühler Group, a company with ties to food and mobility. They manufacture equipment for food production and parts for vehicles.
That encouragement paid off. A Class of 2023 graduate of Spring Lake Park High School, Owen is now part of a two-year apprenticeship program. He gets paid to attend classes, works hands-on for the company, and will earn an associate's degree and graduate debt free.
We recently caught up with Owen to hear how his time at Spring Lake Park Schools prepared him for this apprenticeship opportunity and his plans for the future.
College Boot Camp for seniors
(Free!) FALL BREAK College App Boot Camp, October 16 & 17. This camp is for seniors who plan to attend a tech school, 2-year or 4-year college after high school graduation. Great for those who have questions about applying to college and would like one-on-one help from counselors and other admissions professionals.
Senior upcoming deadlines for Yearbook
SLPHS Oasis Yearbook Early Bird Sale is going on now online. $75 now through the end of October. The prices will increase each month until it reaches $95 in May. Order now and SAVE!
- Tuesday November 7, will be the last chance for your student to have their Senior Yearbook taken. David Banks Studios will be here in the SLPHS Fine Arts Center during lunch hours - no sign up necessary.
- Senior Bios/Quotes are due by November 30, 2023. Have your student complete this form.
- Baby Ads envelopes will be available starting the end of October. Message cost is $20.
Name the Panther
Help us name our Panther! We are taking name submissions September 27-30. Then starting October 1-4, vote for your favorite name. The Panther’s name will be revealed at the Homecoming Game on Friday, October 6.
Get your tickets to “7,000 Miles of Broadway”
This year's Live on 65 season kicks off with "7,000 Miles of Broadway" on Saturday, October 7, 2023. J. Robert Spencer will take audiences on a musical journey through different genres including some favorites from the Jersey Boys of which he performed on Broadway. Tickets for adults are $15 and students are $5. Get your tickets online. If you didn’t see the story earlier this month, check it out.
Panther Pride Sweepstakes is starting soon – enter for a chance to win
The Panther Pride Sweepstakes starts on Sunday, October 1. The Panther Foundation is posting a new question on the sweepstakes page each day. Each day, families and staff members can submit their entries. The more entries you have in by Thursday, October 5, the more chances you have to win.
Students who win earn a $500 cash prize for their school and will choose where to direct the funds from several pre-determined projects. The winning student will also win a $50 Panther Store Gift Card. The winners will be randomly drawn on Thursday, October 5 at 5 p.m. Good luck, Panthers!
Senior and Junior 1:1 Counselor Meetings:
Your seniors and juniors have been invited to schedule their annual counselor meeting. Parents, you are invited to attend as well. Meetings can be held in person, virtual or through a phone call - whatever works best for you. Have your student schedule their 1:1 counselor meeting this fall here.
Translate This Message / Traducir Este Mensaje
To translate this information to another language, please click anywhere on the message to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir la información a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del mensaje para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.