Welcome to the SOMS Library
Helpful information and news you can use!
Dear SOMS Families,
The library program has some exciting opportunities in store for your child this year:
- Our program will be promoting the very best of children’s literature with activities designed to help students enjoy stories even more.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) every child “hooked on reading” by recommending specific reading materials to each individual.
- We will be adding 200 or more of the latest and most exciting new titles for our young readers, including quality non-fiction to help meet Common Core requirements.
- At each grade level, students will learn research and computer skills including use of tools like Edmodo, Evernote, Noodletools, Animoto, Aurasma and much more.
- We will be working with classroom teachers to help infuse technology and research skills into all areas of the curriculum.
- Library lessons will stress good Digital Citizenship, helping your child make safe and ethical decisions when using the Internet.
- We have over 30 Nook e-readers available for students to check out, each loaded with over 100 books!
- We are planning lots of special events including virtual author visits, a book fair, a virtual poetry summit and virtual connections with schools from around the world.
- We are looking for students to join our "geek" squad which will assist with some of the technology needs of the school and also help train other students and teachers during Genius Bar hours during and after school. If your child wants to "geek out" with us please have them come see me or connect with me on Edmodo.
- We are adding Locker Libraries to each floor of the building! Make sure to take a book and bring in one of yours to add to the locker!
- If you would like to volunteer to help in the library, please let me know. We would love to have you!
Ms. Mitchell and I are very excited about the coming school year and are committed to making the library your child’s favorite place at SOMSl!
Important Information and Websites
SOMS Research Help
Links to websites that will help your students while doing research, including links to our databases.
Join the Library's Remind 101 group to get text messages sent to your phone with important information from the library.
Check out E-books using Overdrive!
Download these apps to have the SOMS library in your pocket!
Join the SOMS Library on Twitter!
Library in Your Pocket - QR code Flyer
Coming Soon - Locker Library - One on Each Floor!