Together in Education Family Update
SPIRIT WEEK IS HERE!!!
Dec 14 ~ DECORATE YOURSELF: Deck Yourself with Holiday items; tinsel, hats, sweaters, lights...anything goes!
Dec 15 ~ MELE KALIKEMAKA: Hawaiian-Style Holiday
Dec 16 ~ CANDY CANE ALLEY: Red/White Day or dress up like a candy cane
Dec 17 ~ POLAR EXPRESS DAY: Holiday Jammies
Dec 18 ~ HO-HO-HO INTO THE HOLIDAYS: Santa Hats and Jingle Bells
Dear Lancaster Families
Looking back to our September entry and now heading into the holiday break we have much to celebrate. Our classes are buzzing with activity and learning.
We are very proud of the leadership of Mr. Vreeken’s Grade 6 class in bringing together all of the components of our school-wide food drive. Writing announcements, creating a video, generating excitement and a healthy dose of competition. We currently have approximately 600 food items and our goal of 2021 is definitely within reach. Consider allowing your child to do a food drive grocery shop with you, or perhaps write down a list of items to be included in the family's next grocery outing. We believe that our students want to make this difference for families who might need a helping hand this holiday.
We have two classes who have written letters to send to Canadian Soldiers serving overseas this Christmas. Letters were sent out to Molly, Nigeria and Latvia earlier this month from Ms. Dowdell's Grade 3 and Ms. Kenyon's grade 4/5 classes. These types of authentic writing activities generate rich thinking and conversation and also help students recognize how writing becomes a tool to share their voice out to the world around them.
Lancaster staff would like to wish all of our families a wonderful holiday break together and look forward to our return in the new year.
Your leaders in learning,
Lani Fox and Sara O'Hearn
Looking forward to our Jingle Bell Santa Shuffle this Friday where we will enjoy a concert from our friendly neighbour down the path as we jingle by - wear your Santa hats and bring your jingle bells! (jingle bells will be provided for primary classes)
Thank you Parent Council for sponsoring our WELLNESS CART this month - so many healthy and delicious treats for staff as we bring students into the holiday break! RAFFLE PRIZES donated by local businesses will be used on some of our staff challenges this week!
Winter Art, Writing, Learning and Outdoor Time!
Important Reminders for Families
Essential Daily Covid Screening
With increasing numbers of cases, we are asking everyone to ensure they do the student daily screener before coming to school. The newest screener guidelines were updated December 11th and are below for your quick reference.
- Please continue to screen your children before sending them to school and keep them home if they are showing Covid-19 related symptoms following the KFL& A Health Unit protocols.
- Please communicate reason for absences in Safe Arrival Absence Reporting and contact the school with questions or follow-up information.
Together, we will do our best to keep kids, adults and our community safe.
Items over the Holiday Break
On Friday, our last day before the holiday time, we will ask students to double check that they have all belongings needed for the break (snowpants, boots, shoes, pencil case, glasses, personal belongings). We are not able to predict what January will look like so want all students to have what they need at home with them. Thank you for reminding your child to do the same.
Indoor Shoes and Other Reminders
- With the onset of snow and ice, students are wearing boots. Students should bring indoor shoes to change into when inside at this time.
- As weather gets colder it will be more likely that student masks will get wet and need to be changed throughout the day. It is recommended that students have spare masks and that students’ masks be regularly laundered.
- Please remember a water bottle each day to use at the water bottle filling station. As the weather get colder, we all need to stay more hydrated.
- Due to our COVID protocols, please ensure that toys and games from home stay at home (ie. Pokémon Cards, small figurines/toys, etc.). Students are not able to use or share these items at school.
Thanks for your support in making your child's day successful
OUR COBS FUNDRAISER RUNS ALL YEAR!
Click here to see our virtual store for student clothing. More options coming soon!