Here comes the Summer! Book Recommendations from Sarah
- Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman. Selection of terrifying short stories for adults.
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Courage, friendship and betrayal in France during WWII.
- Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld. Future world. Aged 16, everyone gets plastic surgery. Read it before the film comes out!
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Uplifting story about a boy with a facial disfigurement attending school for the first time.
The Day Online
The library subscribes to The Day which can be used during lessons or for tutor-time based activities. The service emails three news articles a day, plus links to teaching resources and points for discussion. The rss feed is available through FROG under the Library page. This resource is also available for parents to access from home.
· Three original news articles every day, written with no jargon or bias.
· Brilliant illustrations and infographics.
· Each article focuses on the big ethical issues behind the story.
· Stories translated into French, Spanish, Italian and German (linked to their English language versions).
Take a look at: http://www.theday.co.uk/ Username: Cotham Password: theday
Crafting in the LRC
Post-16 students and staff recently had the opportunity to enhance their skills and learn something new as part of Enrichment Week. The LRC offered a chance to ‘make and do’ with a papercraft workshop hosted by Mrs Watts and Miss Stringfellow.
We began by choosing a piece of ribbon and some pretty vintage book pages to make pinwheel garlands. While waiting for our glue to dry, we moved onto the origami table to attempt some intricately folded stars.
In the final stage of the session, we attached our pinwheels onto the ribbon, then got creative with buttons, glitter and paint.
Everyone produced something stunning to take home and the walls of Charnwood staffroom are looking a lot more interesting
We are now taking bookings for sessions in September! Please let us know if you would like us to collect any outstanding textbooks from your classroom before the end of term.