WO Warrior Family Newsletter
Week of August 6th
Welcome Back to West Orange
We have so many great things planned for this school year. Primarily, we are thrilled to report that we increased our growth with state assessments above our pre-covid scores- We ROCKED the test! This school year, we will be working towards continuing to improve our mathematics instructional focus, develop critical thinking, and ensure all warriors are meeting their individual target goals.
Please consider joining our school WOSA organization, as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and operations.
In addition, we seek volunteers to help us out with school-wide events. We will send out the district volunteer form at the beginning of the school year. Please take a few minutes to complete. Every family needs to assist us with at least 10 hours of volunteer service this year.
West Orange Staff
Our excellent WO staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family:
Teachers and Support Staff:
- TK: Mrs. Lewis and Mrs. Medina
- Kindergarten: Mrs. Smith, Ms. Williams, and Mrs. Estrada
- First Grade: Mrs. Corpus, Ms. Lonergan, Mrs. Estrada, and Mr. Briseno
- Second Grade: Ms. Krueger, Mr. Mayfield, and Mr. Briseno
- Third Grade: Mrs. Davis and Mr. Maxwell
- Fourth Grade: Mrs. La Morte and Ms. Wong
- Fifth Grade: Mrs. Owens and Mrs. Wagern
- Instructional Specialist: Ms. Johnston
- Resource Teacher: Mrs. Schaack
- Counselor: Mrs. Banuelos, aka Mrs. Maggie
- SPED Team: Mrs. Craig, Mrs. Sabatucci, Mrs. Ramirez, Mrs. Hain, Mrs. Ayala
Front Office Team
- Office Manager: Mrs. Boyd
- Attendance/Health: Mrs. Bailey
- Community Lead: Mrs. Cindy
- Community Liason: Mrs. Ferrer (Translation support available)
- Librarian: Mrs. Cox
- Custodian: Mr. Cardenas
- Noon Supervisors: Mrs. Yaneth, Mrs. Raquel, Mr. Allen
- Principal: Dr. Murray
We thank you for your support and look forward to working with you this year!
First day of school: Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Ready, Set, Go TK and Kindergarten
- Hold a pencil, crayon, or a paintbrush
- Practice opening a zip lock, bags, containers, and a lunch box.
- Have your child snip or cut index cards in half with child-size scissors. Once they know how to use scissors, have them cut along a line on paper.
- Sort buttons or coins
- Be able to build and take apart Legos
- Unbutton large buttons or unzip zippers on clothing. Rebutton and rezip after.
These skills, although simple, can help your child be better prepared for school.
August Calendar Snapshot
Back to School Night
Welcome Back Bookfair
Bookfair InformationOur book fair starts on August 20-25th! You can buy books online or in person. The book fair is open 30 minutes before, during, and after school for parents/students. You can visit and purchase books during our Back to School Night on Tuesday, August 22nd.
How do I buy books online?
Go to http://scholastics.com/fair . In the search button, type in "West Orange Elementary." Next, select our school from the options listed (address 243 S. Bush street). You will be guided to our Scholastic Bookfair page! If you need help, call our front office or stop in person!
Parents Right to Know
As a parent of a student in the Orange Unified School District, under the Every Student Succeeds Act, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the teachers who instruct your child. The Every Student Succeeds Act gives you the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:
Whether the teacher has met State qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas where the teacher provides instruction.
Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which State qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.
The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certification or degree held by the teacher, and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.
Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
If you would like to receive any of this information, please get in touch with Principal Murray at (714)997-6283.
1. 5 hours or LESS per week (recommended): https://app.informedk12.com/link_campaigns/volunteer-packet-23-24-5hrs-or-less?token=UMxwfLvZehSAqgzhmjL7vbko
A Megan’s Law registered sex offender check will be completed for volunteers who work less than 5 hours.
2. 5 hours or MORE per week link: https://app.informedk12.com/link_campaigns/volunteer-packet-23-24-more-than-5hrs?token=12FNw1uTfDLLQs9pvs2s8np9 - Volunteers who work more than five hours per week must obtain a fingerprint clearance through the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations and submit to a tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment/examination. Volunteers are responsible for all associated costs.