The Manning Weekly Newsletter
February 22, 2019
We would like to thank each of you at home as well as our teachers here for all the support you've been giving our students. These first three months of the semester (January, February, and March) sometimes may feel long to us educators and students. So if you're feeling part of the grind, keep in mind, we only have four more weeks and then we are on Spring Break!
Have a great weekend, and stay warm.
David / Mr. Luongo
Sources of Strength
Our Choir is Sounding Great!
These Guys Can Really Play, Too!
Battle of the Books
Spring Sports are Right around the Corner!
City Strings Guitar is Starting up on February 27th!
Message from the PTA
The Manning PTA provides two $500 scholarships to graduating seniors who attended Manning. If you know any young men or women graduating from high school in the spring of 2019, please help spread the word. Information is available through this link: manningpta.org/forms/pta-scholarship/ or through their high school counselors. If you have any questions, please contact Cora Rice at email@example.com.
Thank you to Shannon Clifford, Christine Dempsey, and Brian St. George for serving as the 2019 nomination committee. Their purpose is to find and nominate the candidates for next year’s PTA treasurer and secretary positions. If you are interested in information about these positions or in the Reflections, Chili Cookoff or Silent Auction committees for the 2019/20 school year, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to have these chairpersons in place by the end of the semester. If you have been involved in the PTA at your child’s elementary school, please keep in mind that middle school PTA is a much simpler commitment!
Day Without Hate - April 26th
This year, our Manning Student Council is encouraging students to participate in our Day Without Hate on Friday, April 26th by wearing this T-shirt to school. If you decide not to purchase the shirt, we still encourage you to where white on April 26th, but T-shirts are only $5!
Once you fill out the form, we still need you to log in to your Jeffco Connect account and pay the $5 fee online. If you wish to get more than one tee shirt, please contact Jade Zentz at 303-982-6226.
Manning Talent Show - Friday, March 15th at 6:00 pm
Do you have a special talent? Come audition for the Manning Talent Show!
Auditions: Wed. 2/27 from 2:30-3:30 in the auditorium.
Students need to come to their audition prepared! We will provide a chair or stool, microphone, piano, ability to play MP3 from a phone or other device, and a CD player. Anything else needs to be provided by the student.
This talent show will be judged and we may not accept all auditions.
Students who are selected to perform will have 2 mandatory rehearsals and 1 dress rehearsal.
Wed. Mar. 6th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Wed., Mar. 13th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Fri., March 15th from 1:15-2:15 p.m. - dress rehearsal (this is an early release day, so please bring a sack lunch as lunch is not provided)
Fri., March 15th - 6:00 p.m. PERFORMANCE!
Jeffco Schools Foundation is Asking for Gala Donations
Another Way to Contribute is to Go to the Nuggets Game on March 2nd - Jeffco Community Night
Europe Trip! Info Meeting March 6th
Anyone Looking for a Job? Jeffco's Food & Nutrition Department is Hiring
CrossFit Kids is Coming to Applewood
~ Chelsea Canda
Sticky Fingers (Cooking Enrichment Class) Starts up again on February 20th
Any Girls Looking to Play Softball?
Golden Girls Softball registration is open for the 2019 spring/summer season! We are a recreational league with teams for girls from ages 5-18. We play against other teams in Jefferson County, so travel is limited! Practices start in April with games May-July.
Register online today at: http://www.goldengirlssoftball.org
Dinosaur Ridge Summer Camp
Dinosaur Ridge Camps are an unforgettable adventure! Our camps keep kids moving and discovering in the incredible setting of our National Natural Landmark. These experiences are designed to foster excitement and wonder for science, art, and the outdoors while engaging in our hands-on educational curriculum.
Our small group sizes give every camper the opportunity to play, explore, and expand their knowledge. Each camp offers exploration of the Dinosaur Ridge fossil sites, hands-on science projects, as well as expert guest presenters in the fields of paleontology, geology, art, earth science, survival skills, and local plants and animals.
2019 Summer Camp Sessions
- June 3-7: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
- June 10-14: Rock Stars (Ages 10-13)
- June 17-21: Junior Scientists (Ages 8-11)
- June 24-28: Nature Trekkers (Ages 6-10)
- July 8-12: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
- July 15-19: STEAM Week *NEW!! (Ages 8-11)
- July 22-26: Junior Scientists (Ages 8-11)
- July 29-August 2: Nature Trekkers (Ages 6-10)
- August 5-9: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
Summer Camp Details
- 9 weeks of camp (June 3-August 9) (9 am-3 pm*)
- Early-bird registration starts January 14--TODAY! Save $25 off each camp with registration before February 15.
- $300/week for FODR members OR $325/week for non-members
- 6-13-year olds
- *Post-camp program available
- Click here for more details on our summer camps.
Snapology - Enrichment Option on Wednesdays
On Wednesdays in January, we will be offering new enrichment. "Drone Commander" will begin in on January 16th, and "Video Game Design" will begin on February 27th. Click on the links to register. There are only 12 spots available for each class.
Drone Commander: https://embed.snapology.com/licensee/71/events/37254
Video Game Design: https://embed.snapology.com/licensee/71/events/37255
Follow Manning on Instagram! username- manningschool
Please follow us on facebook, too! @themanningschooljeffco
Looking for Something Fun?
Anne Frank Field Trip
Annual Jeffco Writing Challenge & Jeffco's "I Love to Read" Challenge!
Welcome back to the ENC Jeffco Writing Challenge! Last year we had over 1,200 writing entries K-12, from Jeffco Schools! This year 1st place students will again receive a $100 prize and ENC is donating funds to the schools with the highest percentage of writing entries as well. Last year ENC gave away prizes for 1st-3rd place writing entries for every grade and, ENC also added an Honorable Mention category due to such great response.
Manning can also enter the 3rd Annual Jeffco Book Challenge - "I Love to Read," contest and the winning school will receive a donation from ENC in 2019. Students who submit a winning "I Love to Read," statement will be eligible for a gift card as well, as incentive for the entire school to be involved! See our attached flyer for more information.
An eBook will be posted on the ENC website with all the winning entries. The final deadline for all entries for both the Jeffco Writing Challenge and the Jeffco Book Challenge “I Love to Read," contest is February 28, 2019. The final deadline of February 28, 2019 is when all entries for both contests must be received by ENC.
Sponsored by ENC - Education Nonprofit Corporation-
Reminder to Utilize Tutor Time in the Morning 7:50 - 8:15
- Monday - Math or Electives
- Tuesday - Math or English or 6th Grade Science
- Wednesday - Math or Social Studies
- Thursday - Math or Science
- Friday - Math
At Manning, we strive to live our core values every day.
- Nora Ambro is a great friend. She will always be there when you need her and is always so supportive about everything.
- Carly Brandes is always honest to all her teachers. When she did not feel like she was trying her best she went and told her teacher she was sorry and that she will try harder the next day. Great job Carly!
- Kahler Cardone was in gym and honest about the score boards. He is always working hard in that class.
- Ms. McLeod is the best teacher and she makes access class so much fun. Even though she caught us secretly playing backpack ball she still was nice to all of us.
- Jason Cassara found a pair of AirPod earbuds outside and instead of keeping them, turned them into the front office where their rightful owner claimed them a little while later. Nice job, Jason!
- Sarah Lilienthal is a really good friend and an amazing person. She is always on task and always nice to everyone.
- Mrs. Templeton is so nice and understanding. She's always trying to motivate us and she's also really funny. Thank you so much Mrs. Templeton!
- Grayson Baker worked hard in business and stayed focus.
- Mr. Hageman is a great teacher and always trying to make class the best it can be. His 6 period class is also the best one.
- Mr. Rubin is a very dedicated hardworking teacher who once admitted his mistake of giving us too much homework and decided not to give us any homework on that day instead.
- Wolfgang Leroux worked very hard at his marketing project.
- Mrs. Ritschard is always working super hard to help her students have the best education they can get.
- Jill Battista always helps me during social studies when I need help with the Daily Question or any work that we need to do.
- Vera Esparaza is always cheering me up and is always a great friend. She never gives up and does her assignments and turns them in on time.
- Lance Oldfather was committed to a science assignment and did all of his work before the bell rung. He helped all of his table mates and put effort in to making science class a better place.
- Mr. Pattee is my favorite subsitute teacher because he tries so hard to be nice
- Mrs. Putnam works hard to teach us science every day and she also is a good teacher while doing it. I can find so many things in common with her and she works very hard.
- Lauren Rossano helped Ms Agard getting her pen
- Riley Kopser has been a great fried and it is awesome to hang out with him before school and during recess.
- Malarie Knox truly cares about others, and loves to help everyone needing a hand. I couldn't think of another person who could cheer me up when Im down. Yeehaww
- In class, Erin Kurtin always makes an effort to share ideas, solutions, and answers. She is always engaged in class and is attentive to the lessons that we learn.
- Dreu Charles is an amazing student who always has amazing focus and goals. She takes amazing care in detail in her assignments and is always organized. She strives for her best work.
- Makenna Mertz helped me with my stuff because she picked it up and held it when She saw me struggling.
- Blake Holmes had self determination to study for his test and he did pretty good on it.
- Recycling does such a good job making sure our school is more recyclable. Every time recycling comes to the door we all get so excited and I am so happy that recycling brings us that joy.
- 4th Period ELA is the best and we always work hard to do good work.
- Mrs. McLeod's 4th period always works very hard to finsh assignments and does their best every day no matter the assignment.
- Adam Ly always tries his hardest on anything he does whether it is skateboarding or school he does his best work.
- Ms. Putnam made a very fun activity that was fun for all of us and we all thank you, especially me ;).
- Recycling comes every Friday without delay and they take the time to walk out to the cottages and take our recycling.
- Finn plays with me at recess
- Isabel Martin is always such an amazing friend and always puts ht most effort into her schoolwork.
- Isabel Martin is always giving her all and doing her best at school.
- Team Stoop is very good at playing backpack ball and I am so happy I get to see the players laugh.
- Finn Hart put in a lot of effort in access the other day and was working really hard to be a role model.
- 4th period ELA McLeod is always working hard to understand the book they are reading. They also are always trying to do the best work possible.
- Mr. Jonson always makes class fun and brings humor into class to. He never fails to make class fun.
- Mr G let us perform a song in front of our whole class in spanish to help with our spanish vocab and it was really funny.
- Zennyth Gray created an interactive bulletin board for our Geology unit. Thank you for going above and beyond Zennyth!
- Ms. McLeod is the best teacher ever, even though she she caught us secretly playing ´´backpack ball´´ she is so much fun, she always wants us to do silent work, yet she always finds a way to get our work done, and make us laugh, thank you McLeod.
- Backpack ball is a game played every Friday and I am nominating them for putting smile on everyone's face.
- Ms. McLeod's period 4 ELA class brings me so much joy and gets a lot of work done thank you.
- J.J Killian shows achievement in access when he finished almost all of his homework.
- I have been nominating Max Seigal for the past couple weeks, he has never failed to make me want to nominate him with his great attitude and his amazing ability to help you with anything you need to do.
- Mr. Hageman inspires me to read every day and without him I would not love reading as much as I do
- Mrs. Keodonexay for always saying hi to me in the hall
- Ms. Evans is nice to everyone that comes into the library
- Maxim Quimby is my best friend and very nice and funny to the community
- Camila Gacia is very respectful of everyone
- Noelle Jefferson is so sweet and so kind. She is such a GREAT and amazing friend. When I was alone at recess and lunch. She offered for me to sit with her and her friends. Now we are really good friends! Noelle works so hard for other people to be happy. She surprised one of my other friends for her B day! You can always count on Noelle for she is always there to be your friend or to help you out when things are hard. That´s why I nominate Noelle for this HEART nomination! :)
- Mrs. Putnam is the BEST teacher here at Manning. At the begging of the year when I was super stressed and scared about school she helped out a lot! Mrs. Putnam always makes sure that students are getting their work done while making the 45 mins at science everyday fun and entertaining! You can tell that she cares a lot about her students and that she works hard so that they can learn and get a good grade in the class. I LOVE being in her class! those are just a few reasons why I nominate Mrs. Putnam for a HEART.
- Sidney Kitchens is so nice and funny and I think that we quickly became friends because of that.
- Mr. Crawford respects all his students in class and he listens to all there opinions.
- Mr. Jonson (no H) makes learning fun. It is the highlight of my day.
- Mrs.McLeod always is so kind to her students and treats them with respect.
- Ms. Mcloed invited us in access to submit a heart nomination and helped us all be respectful and be more aware to what our teachers and fellow students do that represent HEART every day and had us try a little harder to represent HEART as well, as to also get noticed by a fellow student.
- Emily Ziporin is very kind, and i always super caring, I am so proud she is my best friend, o thank you.
- Sam Puffet was being very respectful to Ms. McLeod and staying on task while doing his work.
- Team backpack ball makes me happy and always puts a smile on my face. I wont be the person I am without backpack ball. Every Friday morning before back pack ball was a thing I was sad to go to school. Now I have a puopuse to get up and go to school on Fridays morning.
- Grayson was a good partner and worked hard to make a good presentation with me
- Mr. Jonson always is helpful and friendly and always FUNNY!!
- Margot Mulhern is a real one and she always there for her friends. #realone
- Ava Sugar always helps me when I need help with personal and school based problems. I would be so lost without her.
- Mrs. Pouliots 7th period french class made nice messages in french and went around to every single person in the whole schools locker and put one on each of them making sure not to miss one for valentines day!
- I would like to nominate Kelly Garcia-Lee for Achievement and Teamwork. Kelly is relentlessly focused on ways to improve her curriculum and student learning. She thoughtfully considers each decision affecting students. As a member of our ELA team, she always brings a positive attitude, encouragement, and laughter to our meetings!
- Anneke Powell helps me with my homework when i have a ton and helps me plan out what to do first and makes it less stressful. Thanks Anneke!
- During our create a can project, Sophie really helped and did a lot of the work and put a lot of effort into it. Thanks Sophie!
- Devyn McDonald for always willing to help me with whatever I need in Introductary Business
- Jake Lardy is a really nice friend and overall a great student.
- Sam Larson helped me in digital design and really helped me.
- Thank you Mr.Richardson for always being willing to share your resources with other staff members. We appreciate you!!
- Thank you Lillian Young, Tessa Steinke, Ryder Williams, & RJ Lewis-Larson for helping out with science tasks. We appreciate you!
- Tatum Marsh always works well with people on her teams even if she does not care for them and all ways is silly with her friends
- Montana Joy is always an amazing team member, she works hard to make sure that the whole group achieves success.
- Calder Hardin helped when I was unsure what to go about doing for digital design.
- Sam Larson really helped me understand digital design and how to use the line of code
- In Mrs. McLeod's 4th Period class, we always have fun and mess around but in the end we get done what we all need to
- Ben Bizarro noticed that someone had left their gum in the desk. Instead of complaining and making a big deal out of it, he grabbed a tissue and threw it away! Now other students don't have to worry about touching that piece of gum!
- Backpack ball is so much fun and I love playing it.
- Elena Wiletsky shows teamwork, as she works very hard and helps her group out.
- Mr. Hageman - Great thanks for representing our Language Arts Department in the Battle of the Books!
- Thanks to every student in my Word Wonder classes! You were such enthusiastic audiences for "Word Play," and really challenged yourselves with a New York Times crossword puzzle this week. Great job respecting my choice of lessons!