2F Weekly News
Week of December 7, 2014
A Note from Ms. Graves
What fun International Week was! It gave us wonderful opportunites to share our cultures and learn about each other. Check out our weekly blogger post to learn more!
- There will be no homework next week!
- Activties Day is Tuesday Dec. 16th - Students will have the chance to listen to local stories, hear a Qatari choir, make crafts and more on this day. We will NOT have PE due to activities all day.
- Grade 2 Polar Express Day is Dec. 17th - Students in grade 2 will rotate to see all teachers after a lower elementary sing along. This day acts as our winter celebration party and will give the kids an opoortunity to see other students and teachers
Looking forward to another exciting and busy week,
- contact Lower Elementary Office Manager, Mrs. Krista Wilson if you know your child will be absent, her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- or call the elementary office at 4459-1550
- is due every Sunday, but can be turned in early on Thursdays
- kindly make sure your child has a chance to read their just right books each night
- keep in mind library books are chosen by interest and may not be just right - they are perfect for reading after Just Right Reading Time
- please email me during the week if your child has difficuluty completing the work - this way I can explain it to them before the weekend
This week we looked at how air moves different objects and began using a thermometer to measure in celsius fahrenheit. Some ideas we had about air were:
Thinking About Our Reading - Inside and Outside of the Book
This week in reader's workshop we have been working on adding in 2 kinds of feelings to our fiction books. We used sticky notes to stop and think how we are feeling about the story elements (characters, problems, setting, etc.) And we practiced stopping and think about how we felt as a reader, when we are angry at a character, laughing at a funny part, etc. If you are reading at home with your child have them stop and think about either of these 2 types of feelings.
Reflecting About our Cultures and our Nations
We also spent time reflecting and sharing about what makes our cultures and nations so special. Student wrote down the things they love about their nation or families' nation. If you get a chance, stop and see these excellent ideas decorating our cubbies.
- the heavier and object
- the less distance it will travel when you blow it
- heavy objects blow straighter than light objects
- the heavier the object the more you have to blow for it to move