CLX Buzz 2/6/20
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Book Fair Volunteers Needed
- Book Fair Information & e-Wallet Set-Up
- Online RSVP for Valentine's Day Lunch and Shop!
- 3rd-5th Grade Valentine's Dance Info + Sign Up to Help
- Are you Curious about the Jubeelee? Check Out This Q&A Video
- Please Help with Food & Drink Donations for the Jubeelee Celebration
- Career Fair--We Need You!
- Did You Miss the PTO Meeting? Minutes and Video Are Here!
- 3rd-5th Grade--Girls on the Run Registration
- 2nd Grade - New Girls on the Run Program at UNC-A!
- Order Your Yearbook!
- Roots & Wings After Care -- Spaces Available!
- Attention Families with Rising K Siblings--Magnet School Enrollment
Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!) - Book Fair Info, Yearbook Info + Order Forms, Note from State Superintendent
Spring ASA Begins - Week of Feb 10-13 (except for Yoga Games--starts 2/18)
Book Fair - Feb 10-14
3rd-5th Grade School Dance - Thurs, Feb 13 (3-4pm)
NO SCHOOL - Feb 20-21 (Parent/Teacher Conferences)
Classroom Group + Spring Pictures - Tues, Feb 25
PTO Meeting - Tues, Mar 3 (6-7pm) in Media Center
Student Career Day - Wed, Mar 11
Early Release - Fri, Mar 13 @ 12pm
Jubeelee Celebration + Fundraiser (formerly CLX Auction) - Sat, Mar 14
Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast - Thurs, Apr 23
Book Fair Volunteers Needed for This Week!
Hello, Claxton Parents! It's Book Fair time and we need YOU! We have lots of volunteer positions open for setup, breakdown, and working the fair during school hours - Feb 6-14. Never volunteered before? Working the Book Fair is a fun, easy, way to get involved. Help us get more books to our students and into our classrooms.
Please sign up here. Email me if you have questions or if you'd like to sign up but don't have a Scholastic account (and don't wish to create one).
Nanci Mackey - Claxton parent volunteer
3rd-5th Grade Valentine's Dance Info + Sign Up to Donate or Volunteer!
Please Help with Jubeelee Food & Drink Donations!
Please plan to join us for the Claxton and Asheville Primary School Jubeelee on Sat, March 14!! We have Virginia and the Slims (CLX parent Joanna Best’s band), Stacy Claude and Bryan Clendenin (APS parents), and DJ Dr. Mark Dickerson lined up to play at the event. Plan to celebrate our schools and enjoy a night with friends, teachers, and staff. You will not want to miss such a fun night!
We still need help gathering auction items. Please help us gather non-cash donations for the auction!
Do you have a service to donate (yoga classes, will services, acupuncture, massages, photo sessions, etc.)?
Do you have a vacation or rental property you could donate for the weekend?
Can you provide lessons as a donation (dance, cooking, sailing, etc.)?
Would your place of work donate gift certificates or tickets?
Can you bake a pie (the Jubeelee is Pi Day this year!)?
Do you have a contact you might be able to ask for a donation?
Please contact Amy Aiken at email@example.com for donations. No donation is too big or too small! Thank you!
Volunteer for Claxton's Career Fair
Minutes and Video from Our February PTO Meeting
Order Your Claxton 2019-2020 Yearbook Now!
Yearbooks are on sale through March 31 and are $20 per copy.
All 5th Graders get a free yearbook (no need to order). All other students can place an order online HERE or return the order form (flyer sent home on Thursday) with payment to Claxton. Make checks payable to Claxton PTO. Extra forms are available in the school office.
5th Grade Families - Buy an ad to celebrate your student in the Yearbook! Ads due March 15th. The ad form came home in student folders and is available here online.
Claxton yearbooks are printed in full color and feature all student portraits and many candid photos. Yearbooks will be distributed near the end of the school year.
Order yours now – supplies are limited!
Contact Jessica Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A Few Spaces Available in Roots & Wings' Claxton On-Site After School Program...
Attention Families with Rising K Siblings--Magnet School Enrollment
Planning to Chaperone Field Trips or Help by Serving as an EOG Proctor? Please Plan Ahead and Be Sure You've Attended Level II Training!
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, April 22, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, May 6, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!