- The service can be a cremation or a committal (burial). it takes place in a church, a crematorium or at the grave side.
- The priest reminds people of life after death and eternal life.
- Hymn's are sung at the service for example "abide with me" is a common hymn at a funeral.
- The priest or someone who was close to the deceased says a few words about that persons life
- Prayers are conducted to bless the dead and to pray for the friends and family dealing with the loss
- Final words are said as the coffin is lowered into the grave "earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust"
- Then each member present at the service throws a handful of dirt into the grave to honour the memory the deceased.