Welcome to the BHS Express
A newsletter keeping you informed about Batavia High School
September 30, 2022
Andrea Conner, BHS Principal
Hello Bulldog Families.
We hope your transition into the fall weather has been a smooth one! We are starting to notice some students have realized that they need to wear some warmer clothing in the morning while other students have decided to hold on to the shorts as long as possible!
Many of our students are taking advantage of the tutoring in the Learning Lab and are working to make sure they are passing all of their classes for the first quarter. I want to send a special thanks to our National Honor Society students for working with all of their peers in the Learning Lab. These students, along with Ms. McElveen their advisor, work with Mrs. Schmitgen to coordinate this service. Thank you to everyone who works to make this possible!
The last day for the first quarter is October 13, and our students will have NO SCHOOL on Friday, October 14 and Monday, October 17. October 18 will be the first day of the second quarter. The year is already moving along!
Our first Parent/Teacher Conference will take place on October 26 from 3:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Click on the following link to schedule your conference(s): Parent Teacher Conferences Sign Up You may also access the sign up link in the notes below. When parents and teachers work together to help our students, we see tremendous growth.
We appreciate your support and for allowing us to work with your children every day.
In service to our Bulldogs.
Andrea Conner, High School Principal
STUDENT SHOUT OUT
Senior Alivia Alexander Receives Special Recognition
Alivia Alexander, a senior at Batavia High School, has been named a Commended Student in the 2023 National Merit Scholarship Program.
About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. These students placed among the top 50,000 students who entered the 2023 competition by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT).
Alivia will be recognized by the Batavia Local School District Board of Education at the October 17 meeting and on December 6, she will be recognized by the Batavia Rotary Club as the Student of the Month.
Batavia High School is proud of Alivia and her accomplishment and is excited to follow her academic pursuits.
Sophomore Zachery Chandler Accepted to Cincinnati Art Museum Program
Sophomore Zachery Chandler applied and has been accepted to the 10 X 10 Expo program through the Cincinnati Art Museum. Zach will be going to the Art Museum each month to experience a behind the scenes look at how the museum works and to learn about museum careers as well as other careers in the arts.
Zach will be working with the museum staff to create the theme for the exhibition, to design the opening party, and to choose the artworks that will be in the exhibition.
Congratulations, Zach, on your acceptance into this program. Mrs. Gadbury and BHS is proud of you!
Congratulations, Tammy Teague, on your retirement. BHS will miss you!
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
- Please note that removing your students from school to complete their in-car driving requirements is considered an unexcused absence. Please make arrangements to schedule all in-car driving sessions outside of the regular school day.
- Are you wanting to travel to Brazil and Argentina, but missed the informational meeting? Please check out the tour page for details. Please note the enrollment deadline is September 30th, and if enrolled by the 25th there is a $200 discount. Please email Mr. Scheel (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT UPDATES
Monday-Friday, October 3-7, 2022: Spanish Honor Society Spirit Week
Monday: Ranchero(a) day (Wear your country apparel)
Tuesday: Sombrero day (Wear a hat)
Wednesday: Jersey day (wear a soccer or baseball jersey)
Thursday: Neon Day (Highlight Hispanic culture and history)
Friday: Latinx in action (Wear red to support Latinx)
October 7, 2022: BPA Queen Bee Field Trip 8:30 a.m. -3:00 p.m.
October 11, 2022: Senior Meeting with Graduate Services for Live Oaks Career Center seniors
October 11, 2022: Field trip for Biology, AP Biology, and Environmental Biology students (Ohio River Foundation)
October 12, 2022: PSAT test
October 13, 2022: Speed Mentoring for all seniors
October 13, 2022: Last day for Quarter 1
October 14, 2022: No School for Students
October 17, 2022: No School-Fall Break
October 17, 2022: Senior Meeting with Graduate Services for Scarlet Oaks Career Center seniors
October 18, 2022: First day for Quarter 2
October 19, 2022: NHS Anthony Munoz Leadership Conference Field Trip
October 19, 2022: Grades 9-11 Picture Retake Day
October 26, 2022: Parent/Teacher conferences 3:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Please click on the following link to schedule your Parent/Teacher conferences for October 26, 2022. (https://www.ptcfast.com/schools/Batavia_High_School)
October 27, 2022: Grade 12 Senior Portrait Day for students attending Batavia High School.
INFORMATION FROM THE BHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Check out the Batavia High School Guidance Counselor website.
Your Guidance Counselors are:
9th - 12th Grade Counselor A-L
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7037
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7036
- PSAT/NMSQT Information
- The Test will be held October 12 2022 at 7:30 am at an off site location. This test is for College Bound Juniors.
- Students interested need to sign up on the Google Form sent to their email
- UC Clermont Open House October 6th- This is a great opportunity for Seniors!
- UC Clermont College will host a Fall Open House for future students on Thursday, Oct. 6 from 5-7 p.m. in the Student Activities Center at 4200 Clermont College Drive, Batavia, Ohio.
- Prospective students can preview programs, meet faculty, tour campus and discuss financial aid with staff that will be available to answer questions.
- The $50 application fee will be waived for anyone who applies that evening. All current CDC health guidelines will be followed.
- Please RSVP for this event. We hope to see you there!
- Contact 513-558-8316 or email@example.com for more information.
- Registration link: https://ucclermont.edu/open-house.html
- Financial Aid Information Night At Batavia High School- Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022
- Students and Parents!
- Need Money for College? Mark your calendar and plan to attend the Financial Aid, College & Scholarship Information Night in the Batavia High School Library, Wednesday October 26th from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
A representative from Wilmington College will present information about the application, scholarship, and financial aid process. In addition, they will give directions for completing the 2023 FAFSA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid) and what changes to expect, plus eligibility for Grants, Scholarships, Loans, and related information (*this is NOT specific to Wilmington College).
ANY SENIOR GOING TO COLLEGE SHOULD NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY FOR VALUABLE INFO!
Your questions are welcome and will be answered
- Manufacturing Career Fair @ West Clermont High School
- Clermont County College Fair @ Eastgate Mall Thursday Oct 27, 2022 6-8pm
- 80+ College Representatives from all over will be attending this event. Stop in and meet Admissions Representatives; see what different colleges have to offer!
- All HS students are welcome to attend! It’s never too early to start thinking about College!
BATAVIA HIGH SCHOOL OFFICE CONTACTS
513-732-2341, ext. 7051
Matt Buis, Assistant Principal
513-732-2341, ext. 7052
Melissa Anstaett, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7055
Edie Strine, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7054
If your student is absent, call
513-732-2341 and leave a message on the attendance line