Eagle News and Notes
January 18, 2019
You Won't Want To Just Skim This Week's Edition
- Eagle Madness Tonight!
- Reject Film Screening
- Special Parenting in the Digital Age Presentation at Eagle!
- NEW! Technology Tidbits Section
- School Delays and Closings Link
- Upcoming Dates
- PTO News
- Counselor's Corner
- Valentine's Day Parties
- and more!
REJECT - Join me February 26th!
Parenting in the Digital Age Presentation at Eagle!
When: January 22, 2019 @7:00 PM
Where: Eagle Elementary PTO Meeting in the Media Center
- Child care will be provided
We are excited to feature a new section in our newsletter call Technology Tidbits. This will be a space for us to share articles, technology related activities at school, and other updates.
Below is an interesting article from Common Sense Media about 5 Media Resolutions Every Family Should Make in 2019.
The 5 resolutions are:
- Be curious -- not judgy -- about your kid's media.
- Help your kid learn to manage themselves.
- Have a family movie night.
- Take one small step toward privacy.
- Embrace the "digital wellness" trend.
Callum works on the fine "tuning" of his instrument design.
Bernice enjoys the piles of snow early this week!
Mrs. Grant's class groves to the feelings and emotions song!
January 7-25 -NWEA Winter Testing Window
January 21 - MLK Jr National Holiday -No School
January 22-25 - 1st Grade OLSAT *
January 22 - PTO Meeting @ 7:00 pm; WhichWich (Michigan Rd) Dining to Donate
January 23 - Dad's Club Meeting 7 PM @ Rush on Main
January 29- Hot Chocolate Day at Recess
February 2 - Super Saturday Cornhole Tournament hosted by the Dad's Club.
February 6 - Eagle Science and Engineering Fair
February 14 - Valentine's Day Parties (See note below)
*The OLSAT is administered to students in grades 1 and 3. This test is given orally to 1st graders in January and on the computer to 3rd grade students in December and is used specifically to measure abilities related to success in school, testing critical thinking and reasoning skills. The OLSAT is intended to test memory, speed of thought and ability to see relationships and patterns. Scores are normed based upon a child’s age in months rather than grade level in school and will be posted on each child’s Power School account after scoring has been completed. For more information please contact Mrs. Radivan.
School Delays and Closing Information
Reminder: Although we hope to avoid mother nature's fickle ways, we are prepared for weather that foils our school day schedule. Our next school closing due to inclement weather will be an e-day.
Click Here to view pertinent information about our e-day solution to make-ups and delay schedules.
WhichWich Donations ALL DAY Jan 22
- The WhichWich location on Michigan Rd has generously offered to donate a portion of your purchase the whole day of Jan 22 to Eagle Elementary if you mention the Eagle fundraiser or show the flyer when you order. Grab sandwiches for your family before the presentation from Dan Layton at the PTO meeting that evening. His talks are helpful for ZCS parents!
Mark Your Calendars For Eagle Extravaganza!
- Friday, March 1 will be the big annual Eagle Elementary fundraiser. As the one of the lowest funded school systems in Indiana, these fundraisers are important to our school. It pays for critical programming including school bus transportation for field trips, technology upgrades in classrooms, teacher grants, and enrichment clubs for all students. Extravaganza will be a fun night with a pizza dinner, games for everyone, face painting, a silent auction, and more! Plan to come for a fun night with friends and Eagle families. More information and volunteer sign ups coming soon.
Do you have a business or service that could help our school?
- A big part of the Eagle Elementary extravaganza is the silent auction. If you have a product or service that we can auction at this fundraiser, please contact Gretchen Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your donations!
Lego club sign up is now open!
- Lego club will meet every third Tuesday in the art room 2:30-3:30 starting on February 5th. Meetings are February 5, February 26, March 19, April 9, April 30 and May 21.
Hot Chocolate Day is scheduled for Tuesday, January 29! (Weather dependent!)
- We are seeking parent volunteers to assist us in handing out hot chocolate during recess times. Signups will be available on IVolunteer! This is a fun way to see your kiddo at recess and to receive lots of hot cocoa smiles!”
Valentine's Day Parties
As you are preparing Valentine cards to share with classmates, please prepare cards void of candy. Regretfully, we will be unable to pass out the candy. We have many students with food sensitivities and allergies and as always, our main goal is to keep everyone safe.
If you elect to purchase cards that have contain something extra attached to them, please ensure they are inedible. This could include pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. Thank you for ensuring that all students can have a safe and fun celebration.
School Lunch Information
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
Field Trip Chaperones
Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
After Prom Workers
Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
Classroom Guest Speakers
Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.
Sign up for Smart 911
Sign up to stay informed of traffic, weather and other emergencies in our community.
Eagle Recreation Opportunities
Strong in Every Way