Mrs. Koenig's Class---September 22, 2014
News and reminders
- There will be a Kindergarten Parent Night on Thursday, September 25th. The meeting will be from 6:00 to 6:45 in the library. We will be discussing some of our routines and procedures, assessments, homework, and behavior expectations. We hope you can make it!
- Tuesdays: Library stays open until 6:00 pm
- October 6-10th is parent conference week. Be sure you have signed up for a time. Students will have early release this week.
- Classroom tends to get a little chilly lately. Please send your student with a light sweater and be sure their name/initials are inside it.
- Check out the Cross Oaks PTA website at www.crossoakspta.org. Please join the PTA and help support our school. It would be great if our class had 100% PTA support! Joining the PTA only costs $10. You can download a membership form on their website or pick one up in the front office.
- Homework will begin the 2nd six weeks of school. Students will have a homework notebook with a short assignment as well as nightly reading homework.
- Classroom Wish List: Twizzlers pull and peel and Hershey kisses
- Volunteers: if you are able to volunteer in the classroom please be sure you have a background check on file with the office...I hope to get volunteers into the classroom soon to begin playing games with our students.
What are we learning?
Letter/Sound/Handwriting: Pp, Tt, Mm
We are learning to write our letters with proper letter formation.
Sight Words: can, see, like
This is a wonderful channel on youtube that we use for phonics:
Reading-- reading and writing color words, rhyming, one to one matching (pointing to each word as you read), syllables, letter vs. word vs. sentence
We will be using "Pete the Cat" this week.
Writer's Workshop---labeling, drawing a character, procedures for writer's workshop, telling a story using your words, pictures, and writing, saying each word slowly and writing down the sounds you hear
Math---procedures for math workshop, counting strategies, number recognition, writing numerals 0 to 6, describing attributes of math tools, making an equivalent set
The Numeral Song
Science/Social Studies---observing weather and changes
4 Seasons in a year
Assessments---This month I am completing the ELI (Early Literacy Inventory), DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment), and Counting Objects math assessment on each student. I will share the results of these assessments with you at our parent-teacher conference in October.
Special Areas Schedule
Please remember to wear tennis shoes on PE days.