OVS Weekly Update
Week of April 17-21, 2017, Volume 28
Mark Your Calendars!
- Last day of school for students is May 26th
Monday Class Connect Sessions
- 9:00am-Mr. Dowling
- 9:30am-Mr Gamble/Ms. Blackburn
- 10am-Mr. Jamshidi
- 10:30am-Ms. Rogers
Learning Coach Training
- RESPECT Presentations: 9:30am-12:30pm
- April Calendar: Available at DoSpace
Teacher Office Hours :
Every Monday & Friday from 1:30-3pm
- In-person: TAC Building (3215 Cuming Street) 4th floor, left off the elevators
- Class Connect Meetings: Links will be in K12
- By phone:
Mr. Gamble: 531-299-9447
Mr. Jamshidi: 531-299-9453
Ms. Rogers: 531-299-9367
Ms. Blackburn: 531-299-9325
Every Wednesday-Thursday from 1:30-3pm
- In-person: DoSpace (2nd Floor)
- Class Connect Meetings: Links in K12
- By email
- Bring a sack lunch and stay following face to face time
NO Office Hours on Tuesday due to Open House
Still Time to Complete the Survey!!!
Please take time to fill out the survey to help us gauge how to move forward with enrichment activities. Results will be summarized and shared in an upcoming newsletter!
RESPECT presents this week
9:30-10:30am: Fun and Games for K-3rd grade in Ms. Roger's classroom
10:30-11:30am: Scraps for 6-8th grade in Middle School classroom
11:30-12:30pm: Teaming Up for 4-5th grade in Mr. Dowling's classroom (Mr. Jamshidi will be in the class all week)
We ask all students to arrive promptly by 9:30am so we do not disrupt the performances after they have begun. We hope to see parents and families take part in this experience. Check out their website for more information!
#OPSProud Week Coming Soon
During the week of April 24, Omaha Public Schools will host the inaugural #OPSProud Week celebration. The celebration is designed to show appreciation for our staff, students and celebrate the district’s successes. Below is a listing of activities specific for OPS students and families. Prior to #OPSProud Week, Mr. Gamble will be highlighted on OPS Social Media on April 18th. Make sure to look out for him representing OVS!
Monday, April 24
The Woodmen Life Tower will be turning blue and gold to kick off #OPSProud Week (snap a picture and share it with us on social media).
Friday, April 28
Students and staff are invited to wear OPS apparel or the color blue to show their OPS pride.
For more details on each event or how to get involved, visit: district.ops.org. #OPSProud
Science NESA testing in Two Weeks!
Testing will resume in two weeks with Science for 5th and 8th graders. Each test will require TWO sessions. In order to accommodate both sessions, and not disrupt significant instructional time, we will use office hours for the second session of testing. If a student is unable to attend one of the sessions, please contact your student's teacher to set a make up date. If you are choosing to opt out your student, they will be marked a zero on the state report. All students are still required to attend face-to-face.
send your 5th and 8th grade student with lunch on these days.
- Make sure your students are well rested and ready to go for the test.
Office hours and online lessons will be cancelled during these days (online and face to face).
Session 1 (F2F class time) 9:45-11:15am
Session 2 (office hours) 1:30-3:00pm
**Check out this resource to give more information on the purpose of NESA testing for students.
- April Fun at Stinson Park: Families & Friends of OVS-join together on Friday, April 21st from 10am to 12pm at Stinson Park in Aksarben Village! Families can connect & play on the open play ground & field! This event is not school sponsored but a way to socialize with families from all three days! We hope for SUN & to see you all there! Please contact Jennifer Bostick with any Questions or Event Ideas!
- May Gathering: Joslyn Art Scavenger Hunt: Mark your calendar for Friday May 19th from 10:30-12:30pm. Families will guide themselves through the museum in search of works of art on their scavenger hunt. There will be plenty of room to explore inside and out! Bring a lunch for following the exploration! Entrance to the museum is FREE!
Still time to sell tickets for the Storm Chasers game on June 6th! Proceeds from the fundraiser go to support OVS! June 6th @ 12:05pm Storm Chasers Baseball Game
- PTO is selling tickets for the game as a fundraiser. Omaha Virtual School will be recognized as the Community Organization of the game.
- Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased here!
- PTO is having a contest between class days of who can sell the most tickets. Whichever day sells the most will get a visit from the Storm Chasers Mascot. The day with the most ticket sales by May 6th wins! Tickets can be purchased thru May 19th.
PTO Membership: We are currently recruiting members to join the PTO. Membership forms can be found here. Joining the PTO is also available online at the PTO website! Membership dues are only $5 per person. Mark your calendars for the next PTO meeting May 11th. We hope to see everyone there!
Omaha Mini Maker Faire This Saturday!
Do Space is proud to partner with Metropolitan Community College and the Omaha Maker Group to host the third Omaha Mini Maker Faire! On Saturday April 15th from 9-4pm, Omaha Mini Maker Faire will take place at DoSpace to display interactive exhibits that highlight the process and attitude of making things. The Faire is an event to bring makers, artisans, tinkerers, craftsmen, inventors, performers, hackers and do-it-yourselfers together.
Omaha Mini Maker Faire is an offshoot of the Maker Faire created in the San Francisco Bay area, which draws over 100,000 annually from all around the world for “The Greatest Show and Tell on Earth!” The Omaha Mini Maker Faire is independently produced by Do Space, Metro Community College and Omaha Maker Group, and in collaboration with Maker Media.
Curriculum Open House
Know anyone interested in Omaha Virtual School for the 2017-18 school year? There will be an info session for interested families from 2-2:45pm and current families from 3-3:45pm during the curriculum open house. All activities will take place at DoSpace. Register HERE if you plan to attend or know someone interested in learning about OVS. Spread the word!
OVS families-Show your Ocelot pride by wearing your school shirt on Tuesday!!
OVS STEAM Fest
Tuesday, May 16th, 2-4pm
7205 Dodge Street
Star Student of the Week: Ava Stary
Star Student of the Week: Elliot Moore
Ms. Roger's Class
This week students identified action verbs in sentences. We completed our Constellation Myth writing. Students used an Alphabet Minecraft world to begin a personal word wall. We used Prodigy and Study Island for math and reading skills practice.
Students will participate in a performance by the RESPECT team. We will begin interviewing a classmate and informational writing this week. Students will continue to add to their personal word wall using Minecraft.
Our Monday Morning Message will focus on verbs and how they work with nouns.
**There will not be online lessons or Office Hours on Tuesday due to Open House.
**Blue Literature & Comprehension Lesson will be on Wednesday at 2:15 p.m.
**Green Literature & Comprehension Lesson will be on Thursday at 2:15 p.m.
Mr. Dowling's Class
Week in Review
· gave their best effort for state testing!
· worked on the final copy of their autobiography and created a cover.
· logged into Minecraft, finalized their Torii and used a sign to define it.
· enter a Class Connect session and test out Breakout rooms.
· participate in a performance by the RESPECT team.
· use Google Earth and Google Maps to locate and research Japan and it's symbols.
-There WILL NOT be online lessons or Office Hours on Tuesday this week due to Open House.
- Our Tuesday online class will meet on Thursday afternoon at 2:15.
-There will not be a Thursday Lang/Arts Orange online class this week. Please join us on Wednesday.
Mr. Jamshidi's Class
Week in Review:
Last week students completed the NeSA Math Test. Between sessions, students participating in making unique algorithms for two separate paper airplanes. They were able to test their airplanes out and edit their algorithms along the way.
Students will be looking at the area of irregular shapes. They will be finding the approximate area of irregular shapes, as well as created their own irregular shapes for others to solve. Students will also be participating in a presentation on RESPECT. They'll get the chance to prepare for this presentation by doing a couple of respect activities leading into the event.
Mr. Gamble's Class
Week in Review:
The class performed brilliantly on the NeSA Math test. Through two sessions, all students worked hard to complete their assessments accurately.
The class will work on varied science concepts from their curriculum focusing on aspects we see in our everyday lives and model them in the world of Minecraft.
- I can create physical models of renewable energy in Minecraft to show how these resources can be beneficial to our environment through comprehension and mathematics questions. (Earth Science)
- I can create models of a natural disaster and the ensuing succession in Minecraft and synthesize the process through questioning and problem solving. (Life Science)
- I can create a roller coaster in Minecraft that will demonstrate the potential and kinetic energy used while operating it and calculate the potential energy during that operation. (Physical Science)
- Renewable Energy Video will review the 5 major areas of renewable energy with examples of each.
- Mt. St. Helens shows still clips and video of the moments leading up to and active eruption of the volcano.
- Potential and Kinetic Energy has information on the two types of energy and calculating the amounts of each.
Monday Morning Message:
Join me Monday to review portfolio submissions. As we near the end of the year, we need to look deeper into our submissions so they are of the highest quality and represent our work accurately.
Weekly Online Math Lessons:
Each week I am teaching the current math lesson, per the pacing guide, for each subject online 3:00-3:30 via ClassConnect. All students who attend this session, participate, and complete a few questions, will receive credit for this lesson by the teacher.
- Monday: Fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra
- Tuesdays: PreAlgebra
- Wednesdays: Algebra
- Thursdays: Algebra I Cancelled due to teacher at conference
- Fridays: Algebra II Cancelled due to teacher at conference
Ms. Blackburn's Class
Week in Review: Last week we completed the math NeSA. This was the last test for 6-7 graders. 8th graders will take the science NeSA in two weeks.
Looking Ahead: This week we will be doing a collaborative Minecraft project. Sixth graders will make a model of a renewable energy source. Seventh graders will make a model of the succession of Mt. St. Hellens. Eighth graders will make a model roller coast and measure its potential and kinetic energy. All projects will use language arts, math, and science skills.
Monday Morning Message: We will continue our poetry notes over sound devices and rhymes.