We have a FARM!
Ho'ola Farms will consist of a wandering path, an education center, individual grade plots, orchards, reflecting ponds, and a park-like experience that allows veteran and community farm-member families to come together in a safe environment to grow their relationships and to cultivate learning opportunities and experiences living while growing food.
Ho'ola Farms WANTS YOU!
The future of Ho'ola Farms
• Offer a viable alternative to monoculture systems by showcasing small-scale systems based on natural ecosystems
• Restore a degraded piece of sugar land into a microbial-rich organic food forest
• Develop an Ag learning center, whose graduates have access to a plot on the farm
• Make proper use of available natural resources, working with nature and not against it
• Incorporate small livestock, bees and fisheries in a holistic and unobtrusive way
• Join the vibrant Hawaiian agri-tourism industry, offering tourists a unique experience
Growing Hawai’i’s Heroes will create:
An Atmosphere of Peace -- The Wandering Path will soothe the soul as you stroll along
• Education -- hands on fun, interactive with workshops & ongoing learning
• Food -- an abundant and diverse array of healthy organic products, raw & value-added
• Soil health -- Increased and enhanced microbial soil life
• Economic vitality -- Job opportunities and an entrepreneurial incubator
• Personal well-being – the body-mind-spirit sense of wellness that farming provides
Main Farm Design Components include:
· Circling Walking Path throughout entire property
· Food Forest Guilds on both sides of the walking path
· Entrance & Garden Community Map
· Learning Center
· Small Individual Plots
· Reflection Ponds
· Hard Wood Forest
· Public use and picnic spaces
· Parking and bathrooms
Contributions & Goods Donations:
What we need:
Materials (used and new!):
- Startup tools – gloves, shovels, picks, o’o bar, hoe-daddy, sickles,
Pots / seeding trays
- Building / construction materials – WE love to recycle!
- Seeds / starts/ trees – Clean Stock!
- Soil Amendments
- Community volunteers
- Corporate/club work day commitments (one day a year/ one day a month/ twice a year etc.)
- Services – grant writers, tree trimmers etc.
- Hiring a Vet for a year! Salary
- Management of project
- Marketing / advertising
- Pond Creation
Step by step, day by day, veterans together, along with their families and community will be transforming the soil and healing the land by properly caring for our 'aina (land) without harmful pesticides or chemicals.
We were honored to have our first volunteer group, DAR- Daughters of the American Revolution, to the farm this past weekend to celebrate 125 years of service!