Males in Early Childhood Education
Why I chose this topic...
As a male ECE major, I sometimes feel I have to defend my major and career choice.
Male Teachers Are Role Models
- All teachers are role models
- However, many children don't have active fathers in their lives (24 million children, or 34% - thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com) This is even worse for children living in poverty.
- Male teachers also show male children that the teaching profession is something that they could go into
"Some of [the kids] don't even have male role models in their lives or they don't have positive ones. . . [Teachers] are meeting their needs, their social emotional and cognitive needs, that they might not get met in any other place." (Bullough, R., 2015)
The Value of Male Teachers in Elementary Schools
Start 0:55 End 1:25
- Bucks, J. The Value of Male Teachers in Elementary Schools. Video. 28 January 2008. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_EABLHHUc.
- Cohen, D. (1992). Why there are so few male teachers in early grades. Education Digest, 57(6), 11. Retrieved from http://www.ebscohost.com.
- Author not listed. (2010). Statistics. The Fatherless Generation. Retrieved from https://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/
- Bullough, R. (2015). Differences? Similarities? Male teacher, female teacher: An instrumental case study of teaching in a Head Start classroom. Teaching and Teacher Education. 47. Retrieved from http://www.ebscohost.com.
- Cooney, H., Bittner, M. (2001). Men in early childhood education: Their emergent issues. Early Childhood Education Journal. 29(02). Retrieved from http://www.ebscohost.com.
- Robinson, B., Skeen, P., Coleman, T. (1984). Professionals' attitudes towards men in early childhood education: A national study. Children and Youth Services Review. 06(02). Retrieved from http://www.ebscohost.com.