MLK Parents/ Guardians:
We are excited to see our students in-person once again. We appreciate all the support that you have provided them while they were learning from home. You are receiving this information because you indicated on the recent HESD Instructional Setting Survey that you wanted your child to return to an in-person setting upon the reopening of HESD schools. Currently, we are phasing in students to allow for a safe reopening. In-person instruction will begin on the dates listed below. Also, there will be NO breakfast or lunch served at school. All students will be given the option to take home a meal pack that will include lunch and breakfast for the next day.
Items your child needs to bring on the first day of school:
- The signed and completed health screening tool that was printed in yellow
- A water bottle labeled with your child's name
- Their textbooks, whiteboards and devices if requested by the teacher
School Hours and Opening Dates
VIDEO OF NEW PROCEDURES
Health Screening Guide Form
Please read the information carefully. This is important information regarding our procedures for re-opening. Please review and complete the Parent/Guardian Daily COVID-19 Health Screening Guide Form. Please return it with your child on the first day of in-person instruction. If your child does not have the form completed, they will not be allowed to return the following day. (The form was printed on yellow paper).
Important Information from our Nurse, Mrs. Salyer
Safety Precautions for School Opening
- Students will be kept in their classroom cohort group all day.
- Students will not be able to use our outdoor drinking fountains. We have provided all students with a water bottle. Students can refill at home or in their classroom.
- Temperatures will be taken each morning before students enter the classroom.
- Students will have designated campus entrances and exits based on grade level.
- Signs will be placed throughout the campus, on the ground and walls, reminding students to keep their distance and in which direction to walk.
- Handwashing will take place when students enter the classroom and throughout the day.
- All students and employees are required to wear masks.
- Recess breaks of 20 minutes will be staggered, and students will have a designated section of the yard to play with their class cohort.
- Desks will be distanced in the classroom and facing in the same direction.
- High-touch surfaces will be sanitized throughout the day
- Each evening classrooms will be disinfected with a fogger and sanitized
Work Packets for Re-Opening
For teachers to prepare for students to return in-person, all students will be assigned three days of independent work packets. The following schedule will provide you with detailed information regarding when your child will need to complete this work along with other important dates. During the independent work days students should not access their school devices. When you pick up your child’s work packet you will receive their new teacher assignment.
School Entrance Procedures
· Entrance gates will open at 7:30 a.m.; supervision is limited. We encourage you to drop off your children closer to 7:45 a.m. to reduce the amount of time your child waits outside.
· Parents will not be allowed to enter the school premises.
· Kindergarten and First Grade will enter thru the cafeteria doors at the front of the school.
· Second, Third Grade and Rm. 509 will enter through the Bus Lane.
· Fourth thru Sixth Grade will enter through the gate nearest the kinder yard at the front of hte school.
· Families with students in multiple grades will need to drop off their children at the Main Gate.
· Students will wait for the teacher at their designated class line. Please make sure your child wears warm clothes to school.
· Students will wait at their designated line up spot with their class cohort only. Students are expected to remain at their socially distanced spot until their teacher picks up the class.
School Dismissal Procedures
- Every family will receive two placards with your child’s name. Please have these available when you pick up your child.
- Our goal is to make dismissal safe and efficient for students and staff.
- Please be patient as everyone adjusts to the new routines.
- All students must be picked up as soon as school dismisses.
- Kindergarten students must be picked up promptly at 12:00 p.m.
- We DO NOT allow kindergarten students to wait for their siblings.
- There will be a drive thru pick lane at the front of the school.
- Follow all signs posted.
- Children must enter through the right-hand side of your car ONLY.
- You must have your child’s pick-up placard with you. (This was included in your packet)
- There will be “walk up” pick up area at the front of the school.
- Please have your child’s placard ready to show the attendant.
- Please enter the parking lot, park and use the cross walk to approach the main gate.
- The front of the school will be used as our drive-thru lane, please do not walk in between cars. Use the identified crosswalk to pick up your children.
- Students in 4th-6th grade are able to walk on their own if you give them permission.
- Parents must sign a bus waiver if they wish to have their child ride the bus.
- There will be 30 students to a bus – one student per seat.
- Students are required to wear a mask on the bus.
- Students will hand sanitize upon entering the bus.
- Students will be boarded from the back to the front.
- There will be one student per seat.
- Busses will be disinfected and sanitized after the morning routes and at the end of the day.