Mrs. Scallan's Class
Sept, 25th 2015
Top Notch Learning
This week in Language Arts we learned about the Letter Buddy Loud L. We practiced writing the letter in our phonics workbooks, on paper, and in our Letter Buddy journals! We loved listening and singing along to the L songs! We are getting so good at our handwriting! We colored mini L books with objects that began with the Letter sound of L. We also colored, cut, and sorted L's. We brainstormed many L words and added them to our Loud L Poster!
In Math this week, we continued to work on patterns. We made matches with number sets to 10. We used foam leaves to count with and to make patterns! It was so much fun sort the leaves by size and by color too!
We continued to learn about the season of Autumn. We went on a fall nature walk and collected leaves, seeds, and sticks. We used those objects to create portraits of ourselves. We noticed that some leaves are changing colors at the top of the trees just like in the story we read called The Little Yellow Leaf! We also read and discussed the story I Know its Autumn. We charted what happens to the world around us during the season of Autumn and talked about what our favorite thing to do in the fall. We added our thoughts to our Fall salt portraits from last week!
- October 1 - Got Character? Show. We will kick off our 2015-2016 Character Counts program with this new and exciting show:
Eric Herman's music assemblies are bursting with comedy, creativity, interactive songs, nonstop participation and rollicking fun. His teaching philosophy is that if you can get kids to listen, then you can get them to learn. Got Character? is a terrific musical and motivational program. Eric starts off with an idea that we are all familiar with, "you are what you eat", and expands on that to show how we also are what we do, say and think. Ultimately, we are what we choose, and Eric encourages students to do the best they can, think positively, have goals and perseverance, eat healthy and exercise, and to be kind to others. Got Character? is a great "Character Counts" or PBIS program, and includes many aspects of living well such as good health, bravery, responsibility, treating others with respect, and using your time wisely.
- October 2 - Formal Picture Day - Individual, Class & Sibling photos will be taken. Wear Formal Uniforms. If your child has gym, they may bring sneakers to change into.
- October 7 & 8 - NEW THIS YEAR! - Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held from 4pm to 8pm. We will discuss progress and goals for the year. Your child's teacher will send out a Sign-Up Genius.
- October 9 - Ava Bower will be Principal for a Day! Stay tuned for a letter with more details. I imagine a dress down day will be planned.
- October 9 - Pumpkins arrive for our annual Parade of Pumpkins sale! Pick yours up and start carving for the Parade of Pumpkins!
- October 12 - No School
- October 14 - Parent Seminar: How to Raise a Motivated Child, presented by PCI Certified Parent Coaches. 6:30pm. RSVP to Lauren Vitelli at email@example.com. Pizza and child care will be provided.
- October 16 - Parade of Pumpkins - Third grade will present the 12th annual Parade of Pumpkins, a spook-tacular display of Jack-O-Lanterns. All proceeds from pumpkin sales and the event will go to Bringing Hope Home.
- October 18 - 23 - Mr. Rodia will be attending the Annual Principal's Conference.
- October 20 - Cherry Crest Farms Field Trip - Permission slips and chaperone sign-ups coming soon.
- October 23 - Spirit Day - 5th Grade's choice.
- October 25 - PAC needs your help! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available to help decorate for our annual Halloween Parade and Party. Thank you in advance!
- October 30 - PAC Halloween Parade & Party at 12:30pm
PRE K STORY NIGHT
Secret Pizza Party!
Please Join Us Tuesday, October 13th At 5:30 for our first Pre K Story Night!
We will be reading the story Secret Pizza Party and enjoying some yummy Pizza.
Please RSVP to Mrs.Scallan and Mr. Alaxson with how many people will be attending!