Team Thomson News & Notes
October 15, 2017
Important Information for You!
PD Schedule for Friday, October 27th
The end of the marking period is fast approaching and we will be finishing it out with a half day of professional development and then records time that can be completed from home. Important information regarding the Professional Development:
All classroom teachers, tech teachers and PE teachers (not attending the SHAPE conference)
· Topic: Pivot: Data Warehouse/Interventions and Edupaths
· Time: 8—11 am
· Where: Hahn Cafeteria
· What to Bring: Laptop or chrome book, headphones or earbuds, paper, writing device, present interventions being delivered and to whom
Music Teachers will be meeting as a group, same time, but out at Siple
Special Ed Teachers, Speech Therapists and Counselors will be meeting with Holly location TBD.
Parent-Teacher Conference Appointments and Reminders
Fall Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled by appointment on November 8th and 9th this year. With intersession coming we will want to get reminders to parents and firm up appointments prior to our leaving for break. Conferences take place the week we return from Intersession Break. If you have parents that have not signed up for a conference time, please contact them to schedule one. If you are unable to contact a parent, please schedule a time for them. All parents should receive a Parent-Teacher conference reminder note this week with a return signature date confirming the appointment time. Please ask parents to return these by Wednesday, October 25, so that you can reach out again to any of them that you do not hear back from. As you know sitting down with parents face-to-face is one of the most important factors in building relationships with them and positively influencing the home-school connection and student success.
Flu Shot Clinic for Staff
VG's pharmacy has offered to provide a flu shot clinic for staff members in every building. While I know that not everyone gets a flu shot, for those that do what an efficient way to get it done. I have set up this Tuesday, October 17th from 8:00-9:00 a.m. in the Thomson Library. If you are interested in getting a flu shot, please sign up on the sheet in the lounge. VGs will accept insurance cards, please be sure to bring this with you.
5D+-Observations and Lesson Plans
I will be finishing up Growth Plan meetings and have observation time scheduled this week. As a reminder, you have 48 hours to respond to 'Noticings and Wonderings'. This year I will be asking all staff to upload their lesson plans to the 5D+ site after an observation. This is not a weekly requirement, only to be done after I have been in your classroom observation. To upload your lesson plans, you will…
Select “Evaluations” on the Pivot tool bar
Click Documents from the drop down menu.
Click the green Add Document button
Choose Upload Your Document
Click Choose File Locate file
Add document description
Click green Add Document button
This will allow you to share your lesson plans with me without having to print them off or turn them in but will allow me to easily view them at any time throughout the evaluation process. Please remember this is only required after an observation.
Quotes Worth Reading
"Grit is passion and perseverance for very long-term goals. Grit is having stamina. Grit is sticking with your future, day-in, day-out. Not just a week, not just for a month, but for years. And working really hard to make that future a reality. Grit is living life like it's a marathon, not a sprint."
-Dr. Angela Lee Duckworth
Remember: Teaching takes grit, grit is what makes teachers great!
Celebrations & Announcements
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, October 16th-Math Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.; PTO Meeting, 6:30 p.m.-
- Tuesday, October 17th-Behavior Team Meeting 7:15 a.m.; Staff Flu Shot Clinic, 8-9 a.m.; District SI Meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 18th- $5 Pizza Lunch
- Thursday, October 19th-Fire Drill
- Friday, October 20th-Leadership Team Meeting, 7:15-8:15 a.m.
- Week of October 22nd-PLC Week
- Tuesday, October 24th-CPR Training for the MERT & Crisis Team members, 4-7 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 25th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Behavior Committee review, Parent-Teacher Conferences); Baffling Bill visits
- Thursday, October 26th-Halloween Parties!
- Friday, October 27th-Half-day PD/Half-day Teacher Work-Records Day
- Monday, October 30-November 3-Intersession #1