Second Grade Rock Stars
"When people are determined they can do anything." -Nelson Mandela
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
This week was a fast one and a fun one! We reviewed on syllables in Reading Workshop and then went in depth into the rules of how to break a word up correctly by it's syllables. Most of us could count the correct number of syllables, but all of us were still making mistakes on where the separation occurs. So, our in depth rules review was just what we needed! Then, we created haiku's in Writing Workshop using our knowledge of syllables. A haiku is a poem that comes from Japan that is made up of three lines. The first line has 5 syllables, the second line has 7 syllables, and the third line has 5 syllables again. Here are two examples...
The warmth on my skin (5 syllables)
Fire falls beneath the trees (7 syllables)
I see the sunset (5 syllables)
and another example...
One shark said to the
Other while eating a clown
Fish, "This tastes funny!"
Ask your child if they can remember what a haiku is!
"It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela
Fun Kids Stuff to tune in to!
- Interested in buying a book, having your child make a free craft, or listening to a wonderful (and free) story time? Head to Barnes and Noble this Friday Night from 5:30-7:30! Profits for books that you buy will go to WCS if you mention our school!
- The Theatre of Lights in Sacramento is Free and (surprisingly) very entertaining! Shows begin at 6:15 and 7:45 every Thursday through Sunday night in Old Sacramento.
- Train Rides on the "Polar Express" in Old Sacramento (Based on the book, The Polar Express. Kids can ride in their PJ's, eat cookies, and drink hot chocolate on the ride.) Check out http://www.sacramento365.com/event/detail/441744954 for more details
"education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Fictional Genres, Making Connections
Writing: Revising and Vocabulary using Senses Review, Friendly Letter Writing to Mrs. Martin
Grammar: Prefixes, Suffixes, and Roots
Conventions: Dialogue and Quotation Marks
Social Studies: Events That Make a Difference
Life Trait: 7 Habits to a Happy Kid:#2 Begin With the End in Mind
"Hating clouds the mind. It gets in the way of strategy. Leaders cannot afford to hate." -Nelson Mandela
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
- 12/12- Board Meeting 6pm at the DP Campus
- 12/13- Barnes and Noble Family Night (5:30-7:30pm at Barnes and Noble)
- 12/13-12/15- WCS gets some Profits at Barnes and Noble- Buy some books and say you are from WCS!
- 12/18- Holidays Around the World!
- 12/19- Spirit Day- Pajama Day!
- 12/19- Early Out Day
- 12/20-01/03- No School - Winter Break!
- 1/10- Soups and Stories Night
Have you Taken the WCS Parent Survey yet?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Question of the Week
What does the prefix of "re" mean?
Are you on remind 101 yet?
It's easy and it keeps your information (and mine) private!
Simply text: @194cc
to the phone number: (925) 203-1369