Tech Theater Review
By Hudson Brock
- Set designers create the theme for the whole play.
- The set design should give the audience a clue of the time and place where the scene is taking place.
- Set designs utilize props, lighting, curtains, and backdrops to create scenes.
- Set designers need to account for script, budget and approval by director.
- Set designs should be easy to move and efficient for actors to get on and off of the stage quickly.
Set Design Examples
Elements and Principles of Design
- Balance is a comfortable arrangement of different items using symmetrical, radial, and asymmetrical design.
- Emphasis is a center of interest in a set that makes the audience focus on one spot that really pops.
- Pattern is the repetition of anything like shapes, lines, or colors in design.
- Contrast is a difference in colors, textures, or shapes that helps give you the feeling of the design.
- Movement shows actions in design and draws the audience's eyes.
- Lighting can affect the mood in different ways, for example red light is more tense than a soft blue light.
- Gobos are different shape designs that effect lighting in different ways. Gobos add texture to stages.
- Gels can be put in gobos to create different colors to the lights.
- Lighting can be used to trigger an action onstage.
- Lighting can be used to put the audiences focus onto a certain spot onstage.
- Sound designers can take different sounds and add onto it to make different modes or themes.
- Sound can be used to replicate anything onstage.
- Sound designers are in charge of playing sound effects in different scenes which can trigger onstage actions.
- Sounds can create multiple themes, moods and feelings in the audience.
- Sounds are very important to make a good plot theme with an exciting story.
Makeup and Costumes
- It is very important to get the exact costume size of the actor so nothing is too baggy or falls off.
- You can use makeup to make yourself look old or young.
- Makeup is applied more than normal to be able to be seen by the audience and not get washed out by the lighting.
- An essential part of makeup is to use contour and highlights to make your face pop.
- Costumes need to be strong and very durable so they do not rip onstage.