BAMS Staff Newsletter
February 21, 2016 - Volume 3, Issue 21
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
***Mid-Year Update: 62% of our students are showing growth. Grade levels noted that students have shown improvement in "citing and using evidence" in their writing. "Knowing the audience" was a skill that the data showed our students needed improvement in.***
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
News and Notes
- Don't forget about taking accurate daily attendance. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with this.
- Thank you in advance for putting in some extra time this week with parent/teacher conferences. I believe any time we can communicate with parents it can lead to greater success for our students and learning community. As always, let me know if you need me to attend any conferences. I'm happy to help.
- Walking Field Trips - Please let Jennifer and Brenda know in advance about any walking field trips. They will get medicine and permission slips ready for you. For the safety of our students and to cover yourself, you need to have these items. Stop in the office if you have any questions.
- Food for PT Conferences - Tomorrow there will be Dominos Pizza, chips, and soda available to help keep us going during conferences. On Wednesday, we will have subs, chips, and soda. The food will arrive around 2:45 each night.
- New FLC Principal - Pending School Board approval tomorrow night, Kerri Jo Patten will be the next principal at FLC. She is currently an assistant principal in Beaver Dam at a middle school. I'm confident she will be a great addition to FLC, our district, and to our administration team.
- Please continue to post learning targets for your lessons. During my learning walks this past month, we had targets posted 87% of the time at Bessie Allen. It is great to hear about how we are using learning targets as a formative assessment and as a tool to drive instruction. Remember, our target should be clear and concise, content based, and used throughout the lesson. It is also powerful when they tie into our driving question of challenging students to be deep thinkers.
Out of the Office
- February 23 - Admin Meeting, 9-11am, DMR
- February 24 - BCT Meeting, 8:30-10am, Team Room
- February 25 and 26 - Healthy School Culture Conference, all day, Oshkosh
- March 2 - Oriole Way Meeting, 7-8am, Team Room
- March 3 - District ELL Meeting, 7:45-9am, Cafe
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- Our referral average for this month is less than 2.5 a day. This could be our 4th month of the year under 3.0 referrals per day. In 3 of the past 4 years we have had 3 months under 3.0 referrals for the entire year. This is nice data to see.
- The Oriole Way Team is working on selecting our next BAMS Buck Blitz focus. We are also looking into purchasing a parent newsletter that would support our families with parenting, being successful in school, and social needs. More to come. :)
- NEXT Meeting - March 2nd, 7am
Dates to Remember
- February 22- Mid-Quarter Grades Due Noon
- February 22 - PT Conferences 3pm-7pm
- February 22 - School Board Meeting 7pm
- February 24 - PT Conferences 3pm-6:30pm
- February 25 - 6th Grade Skating Field Trip
- February 26 - No School
- February 27 - Vocal Solo & Ensemble Grades 7-12, WLA
- February 29 - March 4th - No Block Days this week
- March 3 - Curriculum Director Interviews, 4-8pm, DMR
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.