The Articles of Confederation
Advantages and Disadvantages
- To declare war and make peace.
- To coin and borrow money
- To detail with foreign countries and sign treaties
- To operate post offices
- The national government could not force the states to obey its laws.
- It did not have the power to tax
- It did not have the power to enforce laws
- Congress lacked strong and steady leadership
- There was no national army or navy
- There was no system of national courts
- Each state could issue its own paper money
- Each state could put tariffs on trade between states.