Getting to know...
Your School Counselor!
Who does the School Counselor meet with?
- Meets with students individually
- Meets with students in small groups
- Meets with students in classroom lessons
- Meets with teachers and other staff to help students be successful
- Meets with parents/guardians to help them
What can a School Counselor help me with?
- Social/Emotional needs
- Career Exploration
- Test taking strategies
- Goal setting
- Strengths and Challenges in the classroom
- Strategies to help with learning
- How to be a good friend
- Understanding different feelings and emotions
- Helping students feel safe at home and at school
- Coping strategies
- Strategies for calming down
- Social skills
- Communication strategies
- Internet safety
- Peer conflicts
- Different careers
- How to get to those careers
- Where to learn more about careers
Confidentiality=what you say to me, stays with me; keeping your information private
Times I have to break confidentiality
- You say you want to hurt yourself
- You say someone is hurting you
- You say you want to hurt someone else
Ways to come see me:
- Ask your teacher
- Send me a note
- Use the IPad in the lunch room to fill out a request form
- Use the QR code in your classroom and a tablet to fill out request form
Why I might come see you?
- A teacher is concerned with something you said or did
- You are absent a lot from school
- To help you understand how to make better choices
- Your parent is concerned with something you said or did
- You did something great!
- I want to invite you to a small group
- Just checking-in
- Another student is concerned with something you said or did
Not because I am trying to get you in TROUBLE!